Can't install printers via Self-Service, Remote works fine

sbrage
New Contributor

I added all of our network printers via Casper Admin, and I can push them out via Remote just fine. However, when I create a policy to map the printer via Self Service, it doesn't actually install. You can see the policy in Self Service and it runs fine, shows no errors in the logs, but the printer never gets installed. Any one seen this?

JSS v.9.2.2, Mavericks.

16 REPLIES 16

Not applicable

Was the printer originally added in Admin in version 9, or an older version of Casper?

Have you tried deleting the printer(s) and then re-adding them into Admin, then deploying? When you add the printers are you using a local administrator account or something else? Do the printers require any other driver packages, ie Fiery?

JamesJhoung
Contributor

Seeing the same issue as sbrage. The printers do show up after a restart. This was not occurring in version 8.

JimAllsop
New Contributor

Seeing the same issue here as @sbrage and @jjhoung totally frustrating. I thought that this might be an 8 to 9 JSS issue So I redid 10 of our network printers and added them via Casper Admin 9.22 and the same thing applies. No printers show up until the restart. Same thing for the drivers and software. I can install all the same packages during imaging but not via self service. I dont get it.

JamesJhoung
Contributor

One of my co-workers called support and he stated that this was a known bug and would be resolved in the next release.

sbrage
New Contributor

I called support and they said this was a known issue. They recommended pushing printers via policy or Remote until a patch is out.

boberito
Valued Contributor

I feel like every update released breaks something else random. I wish something could at least be consistently broken.

I wonder if login profiles still cause Shutdown and Restart to not show up for example.

Fink
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

This is a know issue that is slated to be resolved in the next release of the Casper Suite.

In the mean time we have discovered that a reboot is not entirely necessary.

We tested and have confirmed that restarting the cupsd service causes this to work without a reboot:

launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.cups.cupsd.plist launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.cups.cupsd.plist

This can be included in a workflow to be run as a script, set to run after, in polices deploying printers via Self Service.

Hope this Helps!

David

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

for some reason, my script with those commands isn't working when it's attached to the SS policy and set to run After.

The JSS logs it as

[STEP 3 of 3] Running script UnloadCups.sh... Script exit code: 0 Script result: launchctl: Error unloading: org.cups.cupsd bind(): Address already in use bind(): Address already in use org.cups.cupsd: Invalid argument

tron_jones
Release Candidate Programs Tester
/bin/launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.cups.cupsd.plist 
2>/dev/null

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.cups.cupsd.plist

Had some success with the error using this. Still having issues with it showing back up in the printer list in system preferences.

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

For some reason, I'm getting intermittent results when adding a script to each printer policy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Not a clue why.

As a further workaround, I've attached the script to a policy in Self Service and given it a nice bouncing ball icon. End-users, or my techs, can click on the ball icon which will execute the script which will bounce the cups engine.

This has worked every time so far. Does not require a restart.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

damienbarrett - can you post your script?

guilherme_teles
New Contributor

I have the exactly same issue.
If I unload/load the cups it appears in the system preferences and works fine.

Can someone post the entire script to solve this?

tron_jones
Release Candidate Programs Tester
sudo /bin/launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.cups.cupsd.plist 
sleep 02
sudo /bin/launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.cups.cupsd.plist 
sudo launchctl start org.cups.cupsd
sudo killall Finder

Have been using this as a Self Service policy just like @damienbarrett][/url to restart cups. Has been working great so far.

TreeMan
New Contributor

does anybody have any idea when we should expect the next release? here we are 1 month later and still spinning our tires.

Alcorn
New Contributor

Got a fix from jamf folk

sudo jamf removeFRAMWORK

then

sudo jamf enroll

good to go.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Deleting Self Service.app and then running sudo jamf recon and sudo jamf manage seems to fix these issues.

--
https://donmontalvo.com