can't place a file in /private/etc/cups

gspiese
New Contributor III

We've modified our cupsd.conf file and want to place it into the /private/etc/cups directory. When I use Composer to place the file it creates a ROOT directory at the root of the hard drive and dups it there. To troubleshoot I defaulsts write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE then killall Finder hidden files are visible but greyed-out. Unfortanebtky U got the same results of a ROOT directroy at the root of the hard drive with directories all the say down to an including the cupsd.conf file I'm trying to replace in/private/etc/cups I did remove all references to rivate/etc in Composer Prefs, but get the same results regardless. What's the secret to sending a file to an otherwise hidden directory?

Thanks,
George Spiese

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gspiese
New Contributor III

Thanks mush for everyone's help and suggestions. I did downgrade to Composer 8.5.1 which solved the when naming issue with 8.52 of Composer.

Having said that, we abandoned moding and sending the rev'd cupsd.conf file as a way to alow our standard- non-Admin users the ability to add/remove printers. There were several reasons for abandoning this method. Primarilly it required three different cupsd.conf files depending on the OS v. This alone made it a pain. Second, the script Jamf supplied <EnableNonAdminAddPrinter> did the job perfectly as long as it was newer than 10.4.x. So we just used the script. Testing before implementation is about complete and ready for deployment.

I now need to figure out how to create a script that will back-out the changes. We always need both the ability to do and undo whatever we do... do!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

rmanly
Contributor III

Here is a thread discussing the Composer directories being placed at the root of the Volume.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=4443

The way I would capture the file to avoid the renaming bug is as follows:

1. open Composer
  2. click New
  3. select "Monitor File System Changes"
  4. click next
  5. name it the way you want - DO NOT CLICK NEXT YET
  6. open Terminal
  7. type the following - DO NOT HIT ENTER
sudo touch /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
  1. switch back to Composer and click next
  2. switch to Terminal and press enter and input password
  3. click "Create Package Source" in Composer
  4. delete anything from the package that is not "/private/etc/cups/cupsd.conf" - I only had .bash_history ;)

5. there is no step 11

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

If you reach out to JAMF support, they can give you Composer 8.51 that doesn't have the bug. I found this a lot less frustrating.

gspiese
New Contributor III

Thanks mush for everyone's help and suggestions. I did downgrade to Composer 8.5.1 which solved the when naming issue with 8.52 of Composer.

Having said that, we abandoned moding and sending the rev'd cupsd.conf file as a way to alow our standard- non-Admin users the ability to add/remove printers. There were several reasons for abandoning this method. Primarilly it required three different cupsd.conf files depending on the OS v. This alone made it a pain. Second, the script Jamf supplied <EnableNonAdminAddPrinter> did the job perfectly as long as it was newer than 10.4.x. So we just used the script. Testing before implementation is about complete and ready for deployment.

I now need to figure out how to create a script that will back-out the changes. We always need both the ability to do and undo whatever we do... do!