Can't re-add printers

GeorgeCasper
New Contributor III

I'm having great difficulty in re-adding two printers to the JSS list of printers via Casper Admin.

Specifically, I have policies (via Self Service) which add all the printers in a building to a user's machine. We have a situation in one of our buildings where two of these printers are effectively switching locations. I started up Casper Admin and removed the two printers, saved, and shut it down. I then added the two printers (both Canon imageRunners, if that matters) and restarted Casper Admin. Unfortunately, the Add Printer button won't display them as printers that I can add.

Any thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Haven't done this in a while, but I think you need to empty the trash in Casper Admin for it to really go away. Then you can re add them in. Try that. May or may not be the issue.

GeorgeCasper
New Contributor III

I've tried emptying the trash and restarting Casper Admin... no luck.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Have you verified that the printers you've set up are working for you? Since the Add printer function in Casper Admin reads from the CUPS file, if those aren't properly set up, it may not be seeing them as valid printers.

If they are set up and working as expected, the only other thing I can suggest is a reboot if you haven't done so already. Perhaps something in the way they are set up requires a reboot for Casper Admin to properly see them.

The very last thing i would try is resetting your entire printing system and re-installing/adding those printers in. Its possible the CUPS settings are messed up and need to be reset.

evarona
New Contributor II

FWIW, I've only had luck setting up printers for Casper Admin when the machine adding the queues to Casper Admin has the exact same print driver version as my endpoints. Then I add them from my reference machine and test. Even then, it has not always worked but usually does.