Can you Lock the Name portion of iPad 2 with JAMF

chris_galasso
New Contributor

I'm not sure what other details are needed to answer this question, but we have had a couple of occasions where our "Supervised" iPads have had their names changed. I just wasn't sure if there was any way for me to remove that ability through JAMF. If you need more information about our environment to answer this question - Let me know.

Thanks in Advance.

6 REPLIES 6

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

No, but along with iOS 8 will come the ability for MDM's to be able to set the device name.

joshuasee
Contributor III

Do note that the JSS has a user immutable asset tag field, which I've set to the device name as a workaround to maintain the ability to sort devices by name.

jmccartney
New Contributor II

You can also use an extension - something like "Permanent Device Name" - to record this information.

Malcolm
Contributor II

Looking forward to being able to name the device in IOS 8.

Dane_A
New Contributor

I have our users login with their LDAP credentials during activation (DEP), so I can do a search based on name under the "users" section of the JSS. We are a K-12 instruction using Casper to manage student and staff iPads.

Am I missing out on anything by now having the device names use their names? If there is a reason to do so, I will learn to use the extension/immutable asset tag method. We only starting using Casper last month, so I'm quite the novice at this point and have no understanding of the extension attributes as of yet. Any knowledge would be appreciated!

jmccartney
New Contributor II

We don't have our users enroll devices with their LDAP credentials, so user information is not automatically stored in the JSS. We use the asset tag field to record asset tags and an extension attribute called "permanent device name" to store the name. We may have a name like Campus-Room-Device# that we then use as criteria for smart groups. It's certainly not the only way - or even the best way - to do this.