Cannot Connect to the Jamf Pro Server

swallace
Contributor

a272218aae1e4030911fc667cf1636e2
This little red banner drives my end users crazy. How do I make it stop?

7 REPLIES 7

robertojok
Contributor

I have also come across this on several client computers. Reconnecting does fix the problem for a while but it returns

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

Ever since moving to the cloud, we get this pretty often.

macbrun
New Contributor III

Started getting this today, but only with one particular Configuration Profile. Weird. And not even on all computers. Some work, some don't.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

There is no way to make that message go away sadly, other than the obvious way of clicking that button. It has to do with the fact that Self Service uses a type of temporary tokenized connection to the Jamf Pro server. Think of it like a Kerberos ticket that expires after a period of inactivity. When this happens the app displays that rather silly and, IMO, unnecessary banner. I say unnecessary because here’s the thing - whatever function underlies the reconnect button clearly knows how to “reconnect” to the Jamf server, and Self Service clearly knows that the connection to the server needs to be “reconnected”. If it has all that information, why not just auto refresh the connection without user intervention?? Why involve the end user at all, who likely does not have any idea how things work under the hood? Why show that message, which appears as if something is broken? It seems completely unnecessary to me.
I wish Jamf would just change it so it would auto reconnect. I get that Jamf sometimes like to give the control to the user or to IT, but this is one of those cases where I think literally no-one would mind if it did this automagically. In what possible use case would I NOT want Self Service to reconnect to my Jamf server?
It seems completely in the realm of possibility to make this reconnection happen in the background, or at least when the app comes back into focus.

RJH
Contributor

notice this has only started occurring since 10.13 or around this version of Jamf Pro. Very annoying for users. Sounds like a bug fix is in order ?

richies113
New Contributor II

I'm getting this error tonight too. I'm trying to get one of the users to open self service. I sent some commands to the laptop and I'm not getting anything. I've waited about 30 minutes already.

bzimmer
New Contributor

richies113, this may be just relevant to you. I've been having this issue as well but not just for jamf, I have been getting it on our web pages as well. I've tracked it down to this. Basically a Sectigo root CA expired. This should only effect 10.11 and earlier as the cert was properly replaced in keychain with 10.12. It seems the only fix is to upgrade to 10.12 or later, or to delete the cert, which seems only possible via terminal.