Carbon Copy Cloner for Replication of Distribution Points

myronjoffe
Contributor III

Hi all,

I wanted to find out how many people out there are using CCC for DP replication.
We currently have 4 DP's (Mac Mini Servers RAIDED) including the master and have been using Casper Admin to manually replicate on an adhoc basis and its been working fine.

Im in the process of scaling up our DP's from 4 -> 12
I like the GUI of CCC and the ease of use for setting scheduled tasks as apposed to using RSYNC in a CLI.
Im still in a testing phase and so far so good. CCC is mounting the share Daily out of hours and replicates whats on the source to the destination.

If you are using CCC for replication what settings are you using and have you run into any issues?

As always your help will be much appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

hkim
Contributor II

I do it, mostly for the email reporting that's built into the system more than anything else, across 2 dozen DPs. You could replicate the entire process for free with rsync, launchd, and some Automator to send the emails using Folder Actions, but the volume cost of licensing made it worth while to implement for us.

Issues you may run into is permissions on the newly replicated share since CCC tries to copy over the same permissions and if you're using local accounts on the DPs even with the same name, technically they have different UUIDs thus you may get some permissions errors. You may need to run a script afterwards to reset the permissions on your DP because your read / read-write accounts may technically have different permissions / ACLs. Remember Mike Bombich was thinking of CCC as a backup tool and permissions would be essential to that, I put in a request for him to at least consider putting in a checkbox that says to ignore permissions.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

If you plan to move to it anytime in the next few months, you may want to spin up a Casper Suite 9 test server once it's released and get comfortable with the new JDSes. May not need to worry about using CCC as a replication tool.