Casper 8.71 to 9 update frozen

curullij
Contributor

Hi Guys,

I started the update about 1.5 hours ago and the JSS seems to be stuck at "Updating encoding for applications (Step 2 of 3)..."
How long did it take you to update? Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

chris_kemp
Contributor III

I had this experience in the Final Candidate release. It took about 7 hours to complete the update - it did finish, eventually. I've been working with JAMF trying to figure out the problem, one thing might be the size of some of the tables. When I get around to updating the main installation I'll probably trim the logs & reports down first, and see how long that takes.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

chris_kemp
Contributor III

I had this experience in the Final Candidate release. It took about 7 hours to complete the update - it did finish, eventually. I've been working with JAMF trying to figure out the problem, one thing might be the size of some of the tables. When I get around to updating the main installation I'll probably trim the logs & reports down first, and see how long that takes.

curullij
Contributor

Thanks Chris, I'll wait it out :)
Out of curiosity, how big is your database. We have 1000+ machines and the DB is about 2GB

chris_kemp
Contributor III

hmm...never really checked before now. Sez it's almost 25 GB?? =:-0

curullij
Contributor

Yeah... I just double checked ours. It's just under 20GB... ;)
For anyone else interested you can run this query on your MySQL console. It should print it out all nice.

SELECT table_schema "Database", ROUND(sum( data_length + index_length ) / 1024 / 1024, 3) "Database Size in MB", ROUND(sum( data_free )/ 1024 / 1024, 3) "Free Space in MB" FROM information_schema.TABLES WHERE table_schema = "jamfsoftware";

chris_kemp
Contributor III

Yeah, that's more or less what I just did. I have been keeping a lot of history, mainly because of long-term trends that get called for now & then. I'm going to talk to JAMF about any other ways that this might be cleaned up a bit, I might be missing something.

chris_kemp
Contributor III

OK - I ran a manual optimization with mysqlcheck, and that brought the size WAY down, to 1.2 GB. That makes more sense...everything seems to be in order, from a cursory glance. (This is my test box, which is a clone of the production box but is not actively serving clients.) Still, going to check with JAMF - I usually relied on the web app to run table optimization, but perhaps something was out of whack with it...

chris_kemp
Contributor III

Still looking at this...I have an idea what might have happened here, testing my theory...

EDIT: OK, I think I know what happened, in my case. At one point during the process I decided to flush a large amount of logs - I think that my settings were too conservative, relative to what I needed to keep. Once this was done, I should have optimized the tables (still not sure if I tried that via the web UI...). That would probably account for the drastic change in size.

FWIW, I'm continuing log deletions on my backup copy & will run the upgrade again. At this rate it may not be until Saturday (my weekend starts in about an hour), but I'll follow up again.

One thing worth noting here, though: one of the longest parts of the deletion is Computer Inventory Reports. I think I had it set to retain a year's worth of records - what I noticed when I looked at it recently, however, was that it says that Casper will not delete the last report it has for a computer - if that's the case, then there's no reason at all to keep inventory reports beyond a very short period (at least for my purposes). I suspect that will have the biggest impact on my dbase size.

andyinindy
Contributor II

I am also experiencing this freeze, but in my case it is stuck on "Updating encoding for extension_attribute_values (Step 2 of 3)...". I let it go overnight, but it has still not completed.

What's even stranger is that this occurred after we completed the upgrade from 8.6.4 to 9. All I did was create a self-signed cert for the JSS (so that I could add a JDS instance), after which I stopped/started Tomcat (per the recommendation from the JSS itself). Now I appear to be hosed.

Any advice for how I might mitigate this issue? I heard something about Casper 9 not liking extension attributes... do we need to delete them from the database or something?

Thanks,

--Andy

curullij
Contributor

Hi Andy,
I followed Chris's advice and flushed out the logs to reduce the size of the database. I managed to drop from 20GB to just 3GB. Then when testing the update it was much faster. Unfortunately I haven't been able to roll out 9.0 as there is an issue with digest-md5 authentication and LDAP that means we can't login with LDAP accounts.

Cheers