Casper 9.6 / Yosemite ScreenSharing Broken?

frank
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I've got our dev JSS server and Yosemite (final public version) setup but i'm unable to get screen sharing to work via Casper Remote, i get the following error.

http://s21.postimg.org/p0exdjzd3/Screen_Shot_2014_10_20_at_3_26_58_pm.png

Only way i've been able to get screen sharing to work again is by turning on remote management manually in Yosemite for Casper Remote to work. Anyone else seeing this?

20 REPLIES 20

NowAllTheTime
Contributor III

If this ends up being a 9.6 bug, you could try running this before initiating a screensharing session until the bug gets fixed:

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/kickstart -activate -configure -access -on

That will at least remotely accomplish what you are now doing manually.

Not applicable

Thanks jasonaswell, i've already done that by creating a client package in remote desktop support and limiting it to our casper management account.

I was more wondering if anyone else was seeing this behaviour with 9.6 and Yosemite or if it was just me? Luckily 9.6 Casper Remote and screensharing works fine on Mavericks and below for us.

frank
New Contributor III

So no one else is seeing this in testing so far? How do i raise a bug report with JAMF or is this a OS X bug?

hcodfrie
Contributor

Hey Frank, i came across the same problem, enabling the remote management does the trick but it's not right i think.

frank
New Contributor III

Yeah not sure hcodfrie whose bug this is, JAMF's or Apples to report too. I guess it's more JAMF's as it enables remote management on the go.

jbembry
New Contributor III

Same thing happening here. Enabling remote management is working only sometimes.

Kaltsas
Contributor III

@frank It's listed in the 9.6 admin guide that screen sharing has to be enabled under 10.10. I assumedit's not a bug based on that. Something must have changed that jamf can't do it on the fly in 10.10 as in previous OS versions. Would be nice to hear from JAMF as to what changed. I have not had it fail if screen sharing/ remote management is enabled. We are still deciding how we want to proceed going forward.

WUSLS
New Contributor

@Kaltsas please share your decision once the decision is made. I am also faced with the same issue. I also agree that it would be nice to hear why this no longer works as it did on previous versions of the Mac OS.

BGR
New Contributor

I too just saw this behavior and enabling remote management via ssh as suggested by Jasonaswell does work. There's still no response from JAMF in this thread, so if someone knows if the bug has been reported and acknowledged by JAMF please let me know. Otherwise I'll open a case with support.

matthew_boyle
New Contributor

Hello all!

This is expected behavior with 10.10 on forward. Yosemite stepped up it's security settings, and to ensure we're able to use Casper Remote's screen sharing feature we'll need to make sure Screen Sharing or Remote Management is turned on in the Sharing settings.

fritz_schlapbac
Contributor

Hi

With 10.8 and 10.9 we where able to configure Casper Remote to ask for permission before showing the users screen.

We enabled screen sharing for 10.10 manualy with the kickstart command and it works so far. But Casper Remote now only shows the 'Ask user for permission' dialog when connecting to a Mac and connects immediately afterwards without asking the user for permission.

Does anybody has a hint on how to get this 'asking for permission' back with 10.10?

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@fritz.schlapbach - I just put a ticket in to get the prompt for 'ask for permission' to work as it used to prior to 10.10. This is a requirement for us to use Casper Remote. I'll report back if I hear anything.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

JAMF is so far unable to replicate this. I don't have a 10.10 handy right now to troubleshoot further with them. If you guys haven't put a ticket in, you should consider doing so.

I'm worried if "it's listed in the 9.6 admin guide that screen sharing has to be enabled under 10.10" - a requirement for us is remote connections are logged - if this opens up ability for techs to go to vnc://ipaddress - we'll have to look for a new remote control product.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

For me, if you check the box for screen sharing and set it to only allow these users (leaving it blank), it allows for Casper Remote to work and log properly without vnc://ipaddress working for standard users.

frank
New Contributor III

This is true but it still doesn't prompt end users to accept a share screen session.

Kaltsas
Contributor III

@fritz.schlapbach I don't have an answer, but I can confirm your experience. I am using kickstart to enable our management account for remote access. Then if I screen share I get the prompt to share the display or login as casperscreensharing but the user is never prompted to give permission.

WatchtowerCaspe
New Contributor

We are also experiencing this same issue regularly. I notified JAMF and they mentioned others are seeing the same thing. We also have noticed that if you try to screen share from Casper Remote to a Mac at the login screen, it will give you "access denied" since the latest 9.62 update. They acknowledged this issue as a bug in the latest version. I am hoping they fix it soon.

Kaltsas
Contributor III

@fritz.schlapbach If I disable Screen Share with Remote Computers Without Asking it prompts the target client for the screen sharing session. If the user accepts casper remote then presents with the how would you like to connect prompt. However if Screen Share with Remote Computers Without Asking is enabled I am able to just select share screen and the user is never prompted.

Wasn't the behavior previously the end user was always prompted if you selected share the display? There are situations where I might want to login as casperscreensharing oblivious to the user and some times where I might want them to be prompted. A workaround would be to have two accounts, one for logging in and not prompt the user, one for logging in and prompting the user.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@fritz.schlapbach @WatchtowerCasper @Kaltsas - In our test 9.62 environment "Screen Share with Remote Computers" is checked and "Screen Share with Remote Computers Without Asking" is not.

On the 10.10 client, screen sharing needs to be checked for blank set of users.

Every time I tried, the client sees the 2 prompts we're used to seeing with 9.32. That's what JAMF support was also seeing.

JPittman
New Contributor

@jasonaswell Awesome! that did it