Casper 9.9 and Imaging 10.11 Issue

TAPerkins
New Contributor

0b070da9fed74c51a5ccc3a96f9e3259
We use Imaging drives built from Casper Imaging 9.9 to image systems to OSX El Capitan, and we are seeing an issue where (as seen in the attached image) Performing Block Copy->Cleaning up after Block Copy->Erasing Macintosh HD->Installing OSX~.dmg. Imaging log shows as Completed, but the system boots into the Imaging drive, and the HD has no OS on it that it can boot to. This problem has been inconsistent at best, as some people can image without issue, and others will have it fail multiple times in a row for them. Has anyone seen this, have suggestions, or a potential resolution that worked for them?

10 REPLIES 10

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

When you're in Casper Imaging, what does the workflow look like in the sidebar? Maybe something is in the configuration that isn't setup quite right? As a test do all the normal steps you do but uncheck the box to boot to target drive after imaging. When it finishes, open up Macintosh HD and see what's there. You can also try checking the Imaging log to see if anything shows any hints.

dwandro92
Contributor III

The only time I've seen this happen randomly like this, it was related to low download speeds.

TAPerkins
New Contributor

@AVmcclint Block Copy for the OSX~.dmg is the first step in the workflow, followed by installing our Microsoft Office suite, etc, etc. The initial step is where we are seeing the issue, and the subsequent steps all show as if they are completing properly. Imaging logs showed me what I posted in the initial post, and when I look at the Macintosh HD I see Applications, Users, Library, and System. When booting to the primary drive I get the Folder with a "?" in the middle.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@TAPerkins how was the El Capitan image created?

TAPerkins
New Contributor

@bentoms We used AutoDMG to create the Imaging file we used for El Capitan.

cotten
New Contributor

I had this happen when we were first getting started and weren't using an AFP connection to the netboot/imaging/distribution point server.

bentoms

@TAPerkins what @cotten said.

What file server is the image coming from? Is it a JDS?

Eigger
Contributor III

Before Imaging, go to Utilities/Disk Utility then Erase the drive there. If you have Restore HD, Delete it as well. Then restart imaging again. I happens to me from time to time, this fix it for me 90 % of the time.

TAPerkins
New Contributor

@bentoms Yes it iscoming from a JDS hosted on RedHat

bentoms

@TAPerkins You'll need to create an AFP share.

As per this article.