Casper 9 Peripherals - can't edit or search by name

etraband
New Contributor

Hey All,

We upgraded our Casper 8 to Casper 9 and found a few problems today.

I now can't search by computer name (without a full user's name)
example: To Find John Doe's Macbook Pro I used to be able to search for John and get all Johns, then click on the one I want. Now I must search: John Doe. Is this by design?

I also use the peripherals page with menus to keep track of assigned equipment. Now I can no longer edit my peripherals pages (adding new entries in the computer account, for example.)

I tried adding a new peripheral (to see if the old ones didn't migrate correctly) and that didn't seem to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

etraband
New Contributor

Just an RTFM pebcak. They've moved the peripherals out of the individual computer to a distinct interface.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Do soem searches here on JAMFNation to locate threads that talk about searching on version 9. or. look in the full Admin Guide. You need to use wildcards (the asterisk) now with searches unless putting in a full computer name or other criteria.

Example, do John to pull up all computers with the name "John" in it somewhere. Change that to John if you wanted all Macs that start with the name "John" In other words, the can be used to indicate "any characters after this search term"

As for the peripherals, I'm not sure on that since we don't use them at all, so I have nothing to really test with.

etraband
New Contributor

Just an RTFM pebcak. They've moved the peripherals out of the individual computer to a distinct interface.

neherna
New Contributor

I'm not sure if I hate how the new interface deals with peripherals or I just don't understand it. We keep track of the power adapter serial numbers of our students so we make sure they don't take somebody else's adapter. With the old interface, the peripheral was linked to the student and their laptop. We could search it easily. If I had to replace the power adapter, I would easily delete the old one and add a new one in the same record as the computer, which I could search by asset tag, computer name, user.

Now I have to add the peripheral separately. It is not linked to a laptop, that I can tell. I also can't search it effectively. I just added a power adapter for a student with the new serial number. When I searched for it afterward using the student name, even with an asterix, in the peripherals area, I couldn't find it.

I liked the old interface much better. Am I just not understanding the new one?