Casper Admin 9.32 slow to save and sometimes fails.

Look
Valued Contributor III

We are having a recurring issue with Casper Admin 9.32.
Basically if you make any change that involves a configuration profile it then takes ages to save and if you make too many changes it will fail. It seems to eventually hit some kind of timeout at about 5 minutes and gives up at that point.
The only option at this point is to quit and relaunch and you find that some of the changes will have saved but not others.
If you make changes just to the packages themselves the saves are very fast.
I was wondering if anyone else had experienced (and hopefully resolved) similar issues...

Also does anyone know how to search Jamfnation in a manner where it only shows results that match ALL the words instead of ANY, I have tried + & " and anything else I could think of...

7 REPLIES 7

gskibum
Contributor III

Regarding the keyword searches...
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=12123

:-)

Today I was having a similar thing as with your Casper Admin question. That turned out to be the JSS box needed a reboot.

Sonic84
Contributor III

try using a different browser. Starting with Safari 7.1 and 8.0, performance when using the JSS GUI has taken a hit (at least for me). I haven't seen the Configurations page fail to save, but it became common for smart group and policy saves to time out or just never update from the spinning gear loading animation.

Look
Valued Contributor III

I am using the Casper Admin client rather than the browser.
Maybe I will just try doing things through the browser interface instead where I think the saves are automatic.

frank
New Contributor III

Hi Look,

We are also getting this now in our JSS running 9.6, it only happens when replacing a package across all configurations that it times out and we end up with a timeout error. Reloading Casper admin also shows that the change hasn't been saved to all configurations in casper admin and so we need to repeat this process a few times until all are updated.

The reason we use Casper admin is because we can replace one package across all configuration profiles without manually dragging it into each one by right clicking, the web interface doesn't offer this.

I've also had a chat with JAMF support and they suggested increasing tomcats maxThreads and maxPoolSize but that hasn't resolved it for us.

aleks_gylys
New Contributor

We have been having this issue for a while now too. It came on slowly and now almost any change makes casper admin freeze. But only changes to configs like adding or removing packages. I've increased maxThreads and maxPoolSize. I've repaired mysql tables and removed millions of old dead entries/tables. I've thought it was a corrupt package or script so now I am rebuilding packages one by one using basic characters. At this point I think the only thing that will ultimately fix it is a reinstall and rebuild of the jss db but who knows when I'll find time to do that. If anyone has a solution please post!

aleks_gylys
New Contributor

I ran the 9.62 update that was just released after being told by JAMF support that it might fix the issue, and lo and behold, it actually seems to have fixed it. I've been able to make a bunch of changes to my configs and save within seconds. Relieved. Hopes it stays fixed.

jchen1225
New Contributor III

Confirmed 9.62 fixed the slow save issue for us as well. I did up the tomCat memory again as it reverted every time there is a patch.