Casper Admin - Configurations - how to organise

Jak
New Contributor III

Hi list,

I'm sure this is a topic that’s gone round and round, I've read a few bits, but just want to get the lists ideas.

I have one base configuration that has a vanilla OS and then the required software packages to be installed.

I'm then creating separate smart configuration depending on location to setup the correct AD bind and any other localisation

I'm also creating departmental specific configuration eg. for designers, this has CS5 etc.

I can see that I'm going to have quite a few smart configurations by the time I've finished.

Is this the best way moving forwards?

Thanks,

Jak.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail please do not copy or forward it or otherwise use it or any part of it in any form whatsoever. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager on Information.Security at burberry.com.

References in this Data to "Burberry" are references to Burberry Group
plc, a company incorporated in England and Wales with registered number
03458224 whose registered office is at Horseferry House, Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 2AW
and where the context requires, includes its subsidiaries and
associated undertakings.

1 REPLY 1

Not applicable

I am in a similar boat. There is no way to have smart configurations under another smart configuration (ie. Main config>smart config1>smart config2). I do what you are describing, the base configuration (base OS and Apps) and a smart configuration (laptop or desktop). I run this first, then I run a roll based configuration (designer, copywriter, etc) after the reboot, that installs apps specific for that user type.

Brendon Cunningham
Senior Technical Analyst
Desktop Engineering