Casper Admin Replicate greyed out

bhouseward
New Contributor III

I'm trying to replicate my share point to my local drive to use for Casper Imaging target disk mode. In Casper Admin when I click on my File Share distribution point, the replicate button is greyed out and I can't seem to find any message as to why.

I have enough free space, and I'm running the latest version of Casper Admin (which matches my JDS since it's cloud hosted). This is the first time I'm trying to use Casper Imaging since my jump start training, so it's possible I'm missing something obvious. Am I?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@bhouseward

It sounds like what you’re seeing is expected behavior in this situation.

The Replicate button is meant to replicate between existing file shares in the JSS or to an external drive for offline imaging purposes.

If there is only one distribution point set in the JSS, and we’re not using an external drive for offline imaging, the button will be grayed out. In this case, it sounds like that's what we're seeing, and the button being grayed out would be expected behavior.

To do what you’re looking to do you’d need to set your computer (if it’s your personal machine or your main work machine, it may be better to find a different computer to use as a distribution point or imaging station, though) up as a file share distribution point in the JSS first.
Once all of that was set up, it would then show up as a distribution point in Admin, and you would be able to replicate from your primary distribution point.

More information on setting up distribution points can be found in the Casper Suite Administrator’s Guide starting on page 86.

In order to use an external drive for Offline Imaging, we’d need to go through the steps in this KB article: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=333

More information on Target Mode Imaging can be found in the Admin’s Guide starting on page 377.

If you run into trouble or need a little more assistance, please feel free to give your Technical Account Manager a call, send an e-mail to support@jamfsoftware.com (it will go directly to your Technical Account Manager’s case queue), or create a case using the My Support section of JAMF Nation.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@bhouseward

It sounds like what you’re seeing is expected behavior in this situation.

The Replicate button is meant to replicate between existing file shares in the JSS or to an external drive for offline imaging purposes.

If there is only one distribution point set in the JSS, and we’re not using an external drive for offline imaging, the button will be grayed out. In this case, it sounds like that's what we're seeing, and the button being grayed out would be expected behavior.

To do what you’re looking to do you’d need to set your computer (if it’s your personal machine or your main work machine, it may be better to find a different computer to use as a distribution point or imaging station, though) up as a file share distribution point in the JSS first.
Once all of that was set up, it would then show up as a distribution point in Admin, and you would be able to replicate from your primary distribution point.

More information on setting up distribution points can be found in the Casper Suite Administrator’s Guide starting on page 86.

In order to use an external drive for Offline Imaging, we’d need to go through the steps in this KB article: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=333

More information on Target Mode Imaging can be found in the Admin’s Guide starting on page 377.

If you run into trouble or need a little more assistance, please feel free to give your Technical Account Manager a call, send an e-mail to support@jamfsoftware.com (it will go directly to your Technical Account Manager’s case queue), or create a case using the My Support section of JAMF Nation.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

bhouseward
New Contributor III

@amanda.wulff

Thank you! That kb article pointed me to exactly what I needed - I missed step 4.

I had thought that pressing the Replicate button on my primary share would prompt me to select a location to place the copy. Instead, the behavior is to first add the destination to the sidebar, and then the Replicate button will copy to that location. I knew it was simple!

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@bhouseward

Glad it helped!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

Aquiax
New Contributor

When i attempt to drag the hard drive into Casper Admin it crashes or shows a gray X. Is there a reason that step is no longer working? Casper 9.93