Casper Focus app presenting constant spinning indicator after Jamf Update yesterday?

jpatten
New Contributor

Hi All,

Our JAMF server was updated yesterday, and today we are getting reports from teachers that when they go to focus or un-focus their class of iPads, the indicator on their app just spins and spins. It is slow, and sometimes the student iPad are release, and other times they are not.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this behaviour or knows of a possible solution? We were getting no issues before the update.

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

GSSRyan
New Contributor III

Yes. Casper Focus has seemingly turned to a pinwheel spinner of death since 9.98 (we ran the beta)
Also, getting errors about CF not being able to install on a bunch of student devices it's not scoped to. Weird stuff. Our teachers are almost exclusively using Apple Classroom and a web app I created that disables all apps (except Settings, which it can't seem to get rid of) for "focus."

jpatten
New Contributor

Thanks for the confirmation. Tell me more about your web app the disables all apps?

Thank you!

GSSRyan
New Contributor III

@jpatten I'm planning to open-source it soon, but it essentially works like this:
1) Create a Configuration Profile with the Restrictions payload set to only allow the Settings app. Scope it to a dummy device, group, and user (or however else you want to assign them - I use LDAP groups/users) so that the scope is never empty.
2)Edit the XML from the ConfigProfile via the API to either add or remove the desired device from the scope.

I use this for several different Config Profiles (No Safari, No Games, Disable Bluetooth Settings, etc.) The teachers access the app via a web clip that's http://url/teacher/DEVICE_ID. It grabs and caches their classes and the devices assigned to them. Then they have the ability to turn on/off each of the profiles from the app. Works great. Much better these days than Casper Focus (ugh!)

bcourtade
New Contributor III

We are experiencing the same thing. Focus shows spinning status indicator indefinitely when focusing an app. It does still focus and unfocus the device (though it seems slower than normal).

Edit: We are on 9.98

steelopus
New Contributor III

Bump for the same situation here.

We're running Casper Focus 9.96 (16081601).
JSS version 9.98
iOS 10.3.1

Confirmed the same issues on iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad 2, and iPad Mini 4.

Very frustrating!