Casper Imaging 9.81 and NetBoot, not rebooting to Target Drive

johnklimeck
Contributor II

For some reason when using Casper Imaging 9.81 and booting using NetBoot (now using NetBoot Relay), it won't boot (in reboot) to the target boot drive (even though this is checked).

I am also using Rich T's First Boot Package Install, which I have got working (meaning it does indeed boot to the target drive), and subsequently run, "First Boot Package Install" with it's login window,

But it seems to only work when I am booting using"not Netboot" booting methods (USB stick).

Something up with how Casper Imaging 9.81 is interfacing with NetBoot, just won't boot to target drive, it just boots to the NetBoot volume.

Anyone see anything like this?

Or could be a bug with Casper Imaging 9.81 and NetBoot, boot to target drive, after imaging.

Thx,

John K

12 REPLIES 12

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Well, I can say that I'm using CasperImaging 9.81 from NetBoot (Created using AutoCasperNBI and OS X 10.10.5) quite successfully. I am not, however, using Rich's firstboot script. I wish I had more to offer, but I just wanted to say, hey. 9.81 is working for me just fine! It also seemed to resolve some 'temp adobe account' issues I was having using a 9.8 version of Casper Imaging.

tim_rees
Contributor

Hi John,

I'm getting the same issue as you with a 10.11.1 autocasperNBI set on 9.81 created with the new autocasperNBI 1.3.0 (I think the version was). So its not just you... and its not just the firstboot script!

Tim

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@johnklimeck & @tim.rees, Can you try Casper Imaging 9.8 & see if that differs?

You should be able to easily swap out the Casper Imaging app in the NBI by following these steps

johnklimeck
Contributor II

Ok, it think I "debugged" this.

In Casper Imaging, and with my "Config", I chose to select "Copy to Boot Drive after imaging" for the First Boot Install.pkg. I think I read this somewhere and it dawned on me, let's try this.

I think what was happening is RT's pkg / scripts were referencing the netboot or USB boot drive, and having no way to complete, since the paths would be incorrect (Even though the first boot pkg was being installed to the target drive).

I think by forcing the FB to copy to the target drive and run everything from there, all the files are where they are supposed to be, all is working great.

Love it, finally have a Capser Imaging process where it's one button, one step, in 7-10 minutes, Mac is all set ready to give to a user to login with AD credentials and get to work.

Now if I can figure out why the new MS Office 16 pkg installer (is 3 GB), instead of 1 GB, and takes a little while to install from Casper Imaging, that would be great, but I digress. Will open in separate thread.

Thx, John K

tim_rees
Contributor

@bentoms Tried the rename trick, didn't want to let me edit the DMG.... Will try a few other things later this afternoon.

tim_rees
Contributor

HI @bentoms,

Finally got around to doing some testing...

Results are:

OS X 10.11.1 Casper Imaging 9.81 created with AutoCasperNBI 1.3.0 - Does not set start up disk
OS X 10.11.1
Casper Imaging 9.8 created with AutoCasperNBI 1.3.0 - Does not set start up disk
OS X 10.10.5 + Casper Imaging 9.8.1 Created with AutoCasperNBI 1.3.0 - DOES set start up disk

My previous 10.10.5 NBI's created with previous version of AutoCasperNBI work too.

Looks like the issue is with 10.11 ... Maybe something to do with SIP.

Tim

Randydid
Contributor II

@tim.rees @bentoms I can comfirm Tim.Rees's findings as well. As a work around, I had to rebuild my NBI with Full Finder enabled so I can manually select the Startup disk.

mathieu
New Contributor

Having the same issue when imaging from an El Capitan host.
As a workaround have added this command as an 'after' script to my image:

systemsetup -setstartupdisk /Volumes/Macintosh HD

dribeiro
New Contributor

I just wanted to chime in to say I was having this same issue with Casper 9.81 and 10.11.1 and 10.11.2. @mathieu 's workaround worked for me. Thanks for sharing.

malroy
New Contributor II

I am having the same issue with Casper 9.8.1 and 10.11.1

i am using another way to set the boot drive

!/bin/bash

Search for the name Mac HD or Macintosh HD partition to bless

mac_partition_Name=$( diskutil list | grep -i mac | awk '/Apple_HFS/{print $NF}' )

mac_partitions=$(/usr/sbin/diskutil info "$mac_partition_Name" | /usr/bin/grep "Device Node" | /usr/bin/awk '{print $3}')

/usr/sbin/bless --device "$mac_partitions" --setBoot

joaquim
New Contributor

I was having the same issue and used @mathieu's fix. Issue resolved for now.

Thanks @mathieu!

DavidN
Contributor

Have not been able to get this to work with 10.11.5 and AutoCasperNBI Version 1.3.3 (101). (Even using the scripts). Does anyone know if this is resolved in Casper 9.92?