Casper Imaging, deploy mobileconfig first boot

loceee
Contributor

Not sure if anyone else is doing this.. but on occasion it would be handy for me to image MacBook Airs over WiFi (no not often) at remote sites where Thunderbolt ethernet adapters seem to disappear.

I have no problem getting an OS vanilla autoDMG loaded down... but getting a temp wifi config profile is proving strange.

I've made a unsigned profile that expires in an hour, as the proper network settings will come down via MDM once the Mac is enrolled.

It's rolled into a pkg that deploys to /var/db/ConfigarationProfiles/Setup

It's installed during the imaging process on the target volume (I have verified it's there before Casper 1st boot) .. but YoYo ain't loading it automatically, so the Mac then doesn't enrol and the provisioning process then falls over.

Same pkg when installed on to test Mac (working, not vanilla AutoDMGed) works perfectly. Imports, joins WiFi then expires in an hour.

f2bf3a2ec01b4ae5952528455845aca6

Is anyone else doing this? Am I missing some thing... or am I nuts?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

loceee
Contributor

So after further digging into the system.log and bothering @gregneagle on irc...

Deploying a WiFi config profile to the /var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/Setup on a freshly AutoDMGed (10.10.2) volume as part of your deployment process might not work, at least in this workflow. From what I understand others have been doing this with other tools (DeployStudio?). Although I can't see this method working with any tools, or unless some Macs bring up their WiFi interfaces quicker than others (?).

system.log

• Mac boots
  • mdmclient attempts to load the profile as expected
  • mdmclient fails as it can't find a Wi-Fi interface
  • .profileSetupDone is flagged so it doesn't try again, but the profile remains in Setup folder.
  • Wi-Fi drivers loads.................. 10 seconds later.

= (Mac enrolment doesn't complete).

Looks like I am scripting something to make this happen. Ugh. It should have been so easy.

Yet another lesson that in the quest for speedy boot times you should never assume that something you might need has loaded quite yet, but I really though that OS X would take care of this for "setup" profiles.

View solution in original post

loceee
Contributor

put you wifi profiles in /tmp/profiles - pkg them - add your postinstall.sh

make them run in the correct order via Casper Imaging and set at reboot

profit
6ce705ef211f473aa5471ed360a01c76

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

For your profile package, set the priority to 2 and click the checkbox to "install on boot drive after imaging" so it installs after the restart?

loceee
Contributor

So after further digging into the system.log and bothering @gregneagle on irc...

Deploying a WiFi config profile to the /var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/Setup on a freshly AutoDMGed (10.10.2) volume as part of your deployment process might not work, at least in this workflow. From what I understand others have been doing this with other tools (DeployStudio?). Although I can't see this method working with any tools, or unless some Macs bring up their WiFi interfaces quicker than others (?).

system.log

• Mac boots
  • mdmclient attempts to load the profile as expected
  • mdmclient fails as it can't find a Wi-Fi interface
  • .profileSetupDone is flagged so it doesn't try again, but the profile remains in Setup folder.
  • Wi-Fi drivers loads.................. 10 seconds later.

= (Mac enrolment doesn't complete).

Looks like I am scripting something to make this happen. Ugh. It should have been so easy.

Yet another lesson that in the quest for speedy boot times you should never assume that something you might need has loaded quite yet, but I really though that OS X would take care of this for "setup" profiles.

loceee
Contributor

put you wifi profiles in /tmp/profiles - pkg them - add your postinstall.sh

make them run in the correct order via Casper Imaging and set at reboot

profit
6ce705ef211f473aa5471ed360a01c76

wmateo
Contributor

@loceee great post. I am also having trouble deploying policies to machines on Wifi Interfaces, even though I have the login hooks configured, and check in triggers. any suggestions?

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@wmateo profiles at imaging or post?

wmateo
Contributor

@bentoms Mostly post, and deployed policies using different triggers. Many of my end users are sales people who never plug in to ethernet, so they never get software updates until we plug them in Eth interface. Any Clues?

bentoms

@wmateo I think I caught another thread you were asking this on.

Sounds like you need to look at your networking on the wireless VLAN(s) compared to the Ethernet.

Clients will need to communicate with the JSS & Apple in the same manner on Wireless & Ethernet.

wmateo
Contributor

@bentoms they check in to the JSS and apple just fine on Wifi but they do not get policies unless connected to Ethernet

bentoms

@wmateo Right, that will be over APNS etc with the JSS sending a push notification to Apple advising that the client checks in.

If that communication fails, then no profiles.

Can you verify that the network access is the same between Wifi & Ethernet? Maybe try Push Diagnostics.

wmateo
Contributor

@bentoms its not APNS I am having trouble with. It's actual policies being received from client. The minute I plug wire in, they work. Even if the client checks in on Wifi. But I think you have a point. I am going to check and test JSS connectivity with a machine on Wifi to Gather more info.

bentoms

@wmateo Doh! I was reading profiles were you said policies. Sorry about that.

Are all your policies scoped to smart groups that are scoped based on network segment? Or have set to only run if on Ethernet?

Lastly, on wireless only do the below both work?

sudo jamf recon
sudo jamf checkJSSConnection

wmateo
Contributor

@bentoms ha! no worries man.... Yes, on certain policies, we have network segments scoped by particular floors, etc. Wifi, etc..... for this excersice, I have explicitly scoped individual computers on Wifi, and nothing, until I plug in a network cable. CheckJSSConnection / Recon also returns back expected JSS connectivity. Policies do not have scripts or anything that would imply only Eth on Policy payloads. But that can be a clue. Reported IP addresses are both Eth and Wifi addresses. I have to run some more tests and gather some logs.