Casper Imaging with USB drives

kink80
New Contributor

Forgive my ignorance but I just wanted to confirm or dispatch the following: We deploy Mac OS X using a USB drive with Casper Imaging installed on it. My question is do I need to have separate USB drives running different Mac OS X versions to install on the Macs. Meaning if I have an older Mac that can't run 10.7.4 but can run 10.6.8 I would have to use a USB drive installed with 10.6.8 to deploy our 10.6.8 image using Casper imaging to this machine. Also on newer Macs that ship with 10.8 cannot be re-installed with a USB drive running 10.6.8 or 10.7.4 but must be booted with a USB drive that has 10.8 on it. Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

This is what has happened in my environment.

If I netboot to a 10.8 image but deploy a 10.6.8 build, the machine reboots after the build but I never see the login screen.

If I boot to a netboot 10.8 image and deploy a 10.8 build then its fine

If I netboot to a 10.6.8 netboot and try and deploy a 10.8 build then again I will never see the login window.

Only thing is to try different things to see what works for you. I don't know why I can't netboot one image and just deploy different builds but at least I know what I can and can't do.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

I haven't had any issues using a different OS version in my Netboot than the image configuration, as long as the hardware is supported by both.

kink80
New Contributor

Thanks for the responses. To date we are only using the USB drives to image machines. So in short the machine I am imaging must support the OS x version that the USB drive is running and (obviously) support the OSX version that I am trying to install.