Catalina updates won't apply via SUS

fhturner
New Contributor

Hey again everyone—

As in a previous post of mine, I don't really have an inquiry about Jamf or the like, but rather w/ the macOS Software Update Service. But this is about the only place w/ useful discussion of the Software Update process on Mac!

Anyway, I have a few macOS 10.12.6 Sierra Servers, kept on that OS because 10.13 was junk for file sharing and as we all know, was the beginning of the end for macOS Server, removing or stripping down many services and functions before Mojave Server completely ruined it. I can get 10.15 Catalina clients to "see" available updates, but they are unable to install them if they are system-specific (i.e. 10.15.x Update or Supplemental Update don't work, but Safari does).

What happens is the progress bar in System Preferences marches across to the end— say, "2.84GB of 2.84GB" for today's 10.15.7— but once it gets there, it just stays there, while the network traffic from the server/SUS stays pegged indefinitely, but no installation ever occurs. So over a Gigabit network, Activity Monitor basically shows an endless flow of ~120MB/s data received, until I kill it. This has been true for all Catalina updates, from 10.15.1 to today, and occurs in multiple environments. Same thing happens w/ command line as well. Clients running 10.14 Mojave and earlier work just fine, however.

Any ideas on why this might be happening, and what settings or tweaks I could make to get it to work again? I'm starting to resign myself to only running the Caching Service, but obviously that gives me zero control over what updates we deploy.

Thx,
Fred

0 REPLIES 0