Catalina - upgrade continues after first login

imy
New Contributor III

Anyone have any recent info on the whole issue whereby after the upgrade appears to be done, upon the first login you're greeted with a progress bar that shows anywhere between 10-15 minutes to complete the install? I know this issue was in Mojave as well.

I know this topic has been brought up a few times, namely here and here, but I wanted to know if anyone had any additional info on any workarounds, what's actually happening at this stage, or any official documentation from Jamf or Apple that I can reference stating that there is no way around this. I do have an open ticket with Jamf now, but it may be helpful if someone else has already been down this road and can provide their case number for me to reference.

In my company, we've always done a lot of hand-holding for the user, so management wants the upgrade to be both in-place and inconveniencing the user as little as possible. If the user has to wait the 15 minutes management is OK with this, so long as I can prove there is no way around it.

I have tried myself to get around this, but nothing has worked and at this point, I'm out of ideas.

6 REPLIES 6

dwshore
New Contributor II

While I was at the DoD we were trying to find ways around this as well. We were able to do a log dump while it was running, and if I recall correctly, it was a series of final drive formatting and configurations it was writing. Since it only appears when upgrading from pre-10.15.x that makes the most sense to me.

I'm guessing you're upgrading from pre-Catalina right? Are the drives already APFS formatted?

Not solid proof, but I hope that helps!

jkryklywec
New Contributor III

This does not only happen on OS Upgrades but happens for us even between 10.15.6 and 10.15.6 supplemental as well as the 10.15.5 to 10.15.6 and earlier dot updates, not on all, and havent been able to narrow down either why (does not seem to be only T2 so dont think that is it. really would like to get to bottom.

imy
New Contributor III

@dwshore So far I have done all my most recent testing in a VMWare Fusion VM. We still have machines going back to El Cap, so I started with a VM running that OS, so the APFS conversion could be part of it.

@jkryklywec I installed the 10.15.6 supplementeal update on my Mac and I don't recall getting the issue, but I didn't pay close attention. I have not tried it on my VM yet. I'll try it and let you know what I see.

imy
New Contributor III

@jkryklywec I did not get hit with the remaining upgrade portion upon login - After all progress bars I was at the lock screen. I logged in and was at the desktop as expected.

fernandez_payen
New Contributor III

@imy You stated that during your in-place upgrade using Jamf, you did not have to log in to complete the installation. Can you confirm what you have in place (script and/or configuration profile) for this in-place upgrade?

imy
New Contributor III

This is where my work on this stands as of now:

I opened a ticket with Jamf and they confirmed this is expected behavior. The ticket number there was JAMF-1472830. They did suggest opening a Case with Apple. I contacted Apple by reaching out to our enterprise account execurtive, who then put me in touch with an engineer. The engineer advised that he would investigate for me but so far I have yet to hear anything. My last contact regarding this issue was on August 27th. I was not provided an Apple case number for this; if anyone has one I can reference that would be great.

At this point I'm pretty sure there is no way around it, but I have been advised by management that I have to basically prove this before we can proceed as-is, with users having to log in and wait for the upgrade to finish.