Change DNS with no JSS access

rcastorani
New Contributor II

I done goofed... So this isn't as much of a Casper question as it is a general Mac admin question. I inadvertently just sent home a couple dozen student laptops with a custom DNS that prevents them from checking into the JSS or opening self service. Awesome, right?

I don't care if I have to hard code a password and set a policy later to delete the file, but what are the chances of creating something the parents/students can run as standard users that clears their DNS? I have the DNS part ready. What I don't have is a way for the user to run it without admin rights. Any thoughts?

Any help for this tired admin on a fateful Friday night is greatly appreciated, perhaps in the form of a donated beverage or two. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

tomt
Valued Contributor

With that few could you possibly email them the installer file and then use a remote tool to jump onto their machines and run the install?

brandonusher
Contributor II

If it's a quick script to run on the laptops, it sounds like it'd be easier to email them and have them stop in while you fix it really quick.

rcastorani
New Contributor II

@tomt @brandonusher My backup plan is to offer to be at work tomorrow so they could stop by or set up a time to remote into their computers and run the script. I was just hoping there was a way to make a file executable by a standard user that can change the DNS. I'm sure this question has been answered by many a malware producer and not often used for legitimate purposes. Hm, maybe I should try a java or flash file! Ha.