Change loginscreen background in Catalina

iVoidWarrantiez
New Contributor III

In my organization (Higher Ed) we do a bit of school branding on all of our systems. One being we set a custom background image at the login screens in our labs and classrooms. Did this in Mojave by making our image an heic extension and naming it Mojave then placing it in /Library/Desktop Pictures.

In Catalina that directory moved to /System/Library/Desktop Pictures which you can not write to. I did find a way to do it via disabling System Integrity Protection SIP, making the change then re-enabling it. That is a lot to do on a few hundred machines. Does anybody have a better method to change that image or should I just forget about it?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

Not possible w/o disabling SIP. (As far as I know. If someone has a solution let me know!!!)

BUT, you can use NoMad Login & Configure the login windows wallpaper for your organization & it works on Catalina.

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

Not possible w/o disabling SIP. (As far as I know. If someone has a solution let me know!!!)

BUT, you can use NoMad Login & Configure the login windows wallpaper for your organization & it works on Catalina.

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

Robert_MSD25
New Contributor II

If NoMad can do it, then we should be able to to do it on DEP devices too I would imagine. NoMad doesn't require SIP to be disabled, right? It seems like this must be some form of custom setting...