Changing the location of CasperShare on JDS

BVikse
New Contributor III

I would like to store the data for a JDS on another partition, rather than the default location on the OS X boot partition. When we were using share points we could locate the CasperShare folder wherever we wanted it, just make sure that server.app's file sharing was pointing at it and the right user accounts had permissions for it. With JDS's our child JDS's can be small, but I don't know how to put them on the partition I want them on. Anybody have any ideas for me?

2 REPLIES 2

ega
Contributor III

So I have done this but be aware that your JSS will only show the free space and other stats for the boot partition.
This is a bit of a UNIX trick that adds an entry to /etc/fstab to mount a volume at a certain folder by volume id for reliability. It is best to do this before installing the JDS.

1) find the volume using diskutil tool. In this case I have an 12T thunderbolt hardware raid with a volume named "JDS"
sudo diskutil list
/dev/disk1 #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUID_partition_scheme *12.0 TB disk1 1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1 2: Apple_HFS JDS 11.5 TB disk1s2

2) get the Volume UUID of the volume using disktutil info:
sudo disktutil info JDS | grep UUID Volume UUID: 58030F16-CF17-38EC-8075-D1C1118xxxxx

3) make a new folder /Library/JDS:
sudo mkdir /Library/JDS

4) now use the vifs tool (man vifs first !) to add the following line to the fstab (/private/etc/fstab) file. NOTE you will need to understand how to use the unix vi editor enough to make the change and save it.
sudo vifs
UUID=58030F16-CF17-38EC-8075-D1C1118xxxxx /Library/JDS hfs rw,auto

Of course you will have to use the volume uuid from your hardware and not the fake example one I used above.

Reboot and install your JDS.

I hope this helps

ShaunRMiller83
Contributor III

@Vikse][/url

The way we have done this is to use a symlink from the the default JDS install location to another drive on our Mac Mini Server.

The command line we use was something along the lines of this. I am not at work were I have this documented but I believe this was correct.

sudo ln -s (PathWhereYouWantTheDataToBe) (PathtotheDefaultCasperShare)

Hope you find that helpful
Shaun