Chrome Dock item missing in Casper Admin

kirkd
New Contributor II

Casper Admin is not showing the dock item for Google Chrome. I have tried running Casper Admin on multiple Macs with Chrome installed with no luck. Ctrl-click - options - leave in dock did not make a difference. Does anyone out there know how to get all dock items to show up, or perhaps a workaround?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Run: ```
killall Dock
``` then open Casper admin.

That's what I've often had to do.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

That's strange. You sure its not already added in? Actually I don't think Dock items are the same as printers, but might be a good idea to double check.

Keep in mind I think Casper Admin reads from the dock plist file, so you can run something like this to make sure Chrome is actually showing up in the plist-

defaults read com.apple.dock | grep file-label

That should output a list of the items the Dock sees in its permanent list by their labels. You can also substitute file-label with bundle-identifier as well for another view. Make sure it shows up there.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Run: ```
killall Dock
``` then open Casper admin.

That's what I've often had to do.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@bentoms wrote:

Run:
killall Dock
then open Casper admin. That's what I've often had to do.

Wow, that works great - maybe a minor bug in Casper Admin...where it should do this for you (or is but not reliably)? :)

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

kirkd
New Contributor II

Thanks Bentoms,
killall Dock worked beautifully. I can see all the dock items in Casper Admin.

akseez
New Contributor II

I'm having the same problem. I've checked the com.apple.dock plist and it's listed there. I have also tried running 'killall Dock' but Chrome still doesn't show up in the Add Dock Items list in Casper Admin. I've noticed that Safari, Screen Sharing, and System Preferences, which are also in my dock, don't show up. I've tried this on multiple Macs with the same issue. I'm running Casper Admin 9.24 on OS X 10.9.2.

akseez
New Contributor II

Oops. Someone else in our organization had already added it that I was unaware of.