Cleanup Safari history, cookies etc

FJeroen
New Contributor II

Hello,

Is it possible to cleanup Safari history with a bash or powershell command for iPads?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

FJeroen
New Contributor II

Hello,

Thanks for the responds.

We cant use shared iPads.

We are using the iPads in our hospital for our patients. We are using an App where they can watch tv, radio, order food etc. And im giving the option to install other apps like (Netflix, News, Teams etc) But when the patient leaves we resetting the iPads(Normally) Now we have an solution to cleanup all the apps of the iPad and reinstall the required apps, so the iPad is fast done with cleaning and ready to be used again for a new patient. But we cant remove / reinstall Apple Apps. So i thought maybe we can cleanup cache and history for safari, so we don't need a other browser to use. There is also an option to use chrome or firefox (But ive no clue where we can configure the browser settings like a home page etc)

Hope someone has a solution ;)

View solution in original post

Hello,

Yes this can also be an option. But still dont like the whole action of wiping the iPad and getting all the new iPad steps. But think we have a great solution now, and it saves alot of time with getting the iPad ready for a new patient.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RaxiaDK
Contributor

Why would you do that?
If you use shared iPads, I would use Apple shared iPad technology

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

No, it's not possible to run scripts of any language on an iPad. The closest thing to a scripting language or tool is the Shortcuts app. 

As pointed out by @RaxiaDK if Safari history or browser history in general is a concern then Shared iPad with either ASM/ABM accounts or guest mode will fulfill that need. 

What is the use case here?

This is wrong. Lots of things can be automated with the cfgutil binary, the Apple Configurator 2 automation tools:

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 6.34.52 PM.png 

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 6.36.26 PM.png

Cool! You're not mincing your words here are you? To be fair the OP asked about on device scripting. This binary, which can be run in a script, runs on a Mac connected to the iDevices and furthermore only runs within the boundaries of what Apple Configurator and the MDM protocol will allow. Nothing in the MDM protocol currently allows you to act on user data in this manner, so clearing Safari is out of the question. You could certainly automate a wipe and enroll which would achieve a clean device for the next patient. 

cfgutil 2.15.1 (811)

Global options:
	[-C | --certificate] <argument>
	Path to DER-encoded certificate of supervising organization.

[-K | --private-key] <argument>
	Path to DER-encoded private key of supervising organization.

[-e | --ecid] <argument>
	Device to act on, by ECID. Can be used more than once.

[-f | --foreach]
	Act on all selected devices.

--format <argument>
	Output format. (text, JSON, plist)

--progress
	Show steps/progress even without plaintext output.

--timeout <argument>
	Set the timeout for detecting connected devices. (in seconds)

[-v | --verbose]
	Increase the logging verbosity.

Commands:
	activate
		Activate attached devices.
	add-tags
		Add tags to devices.
	backup
		Take a backup of a prepared iOS device.
	clear-passcode
		Clear passcode on a device. (supervised only)
	erase | erase-content
		Erase content and settings on devices. (supervised only)
	exec
		Run a script when devices attach or detach.
	get | get-property
		Show various properties of a device.
	get-app-icon
		Save app icons from a device.
	get-icon-layout
		Fetch the home screen layout from a device.
	get-unlock-token
		Get unlock tokens from supervised devices.
	help | usage
		Show help for a command or show all commands.
	install-app | install-application | install-applications | install-apps
		Install apps on attached devices.
	install-doc | install-docs | install-document | install-documents
		Install documents on attached devices.
	install-profile | install-profiles
		Install profiles on attached devices.
	list | list-devices
		List attached devices.
	list-backups
		List backups stored on the host.
	pair
		Try to pair with attached devices.
	prepare
		Initial configuration of freshly erased devices.
	remove-app
		Remove apps from attached devices.
	remove-profile
		Remove profiles from attached devices.
	remove-tags
		Remove tags from attached devices.
	rename | set-name
		Set the name on a device.
	restart
		Reboot attached devices. (supervised only)
	restore | update
		Install the latest System version on devices.
	restore-backup
		Restore a backup to an iOS device.
	revive
		Attempt to revive a device from recovery mode.
	set-backup-password
		Set or remove backup passwords on attached devices.
	set-icon-layout
		Set home screen icon layout on devices.
	set-wallpaper | wallpaper
		Set background image on devices. (supervised only)
	shut-down
		Power off attached devices. (supervised only)
	syslog
		Print a running output of the device's syslog.
	unpair
		Remove pairing between the host Mac and device.
	version
		Show this program's version.

I tend to not mince words unless I mean to...

Your answer was incorrect. It kind of still is... You are splitting the hair of "on device scripting". 

See above... You can activate devices, clear passcodes, erase, get device properties, icons, unlock, install & uninstall apps, docs, configuration profiles, restart, restore, restore backups, set passwords, wallpaper, shut down, get logs... which of those actions are not "on device"?

I won’t argue the merits of your response as I’m not into cat and mouse games on Jamf Nation. if I’m wrong, I’m wrong nothing more needs said as the thread has a solution.

FJeroen
New Contributor II

Hello,

Thanks for the responds.

We cant use shared iPads.

We are using the iPads in our hospital for our patients. We are using an App where they can watch tv, radio, order food etc. And im giving the option to install other apps like (Netflix, News, Teams etc) But when the patient leaves we resetting the iPads(Normally) Now we have an solution to cleanup all the apps of the iPad and reinstall the required apps, so the iPad is fast done with cleaning and ready to be used again for a new patient. But we cant remove / reinstall Apple Apps. So i thought maybe we can cleanup cache and history for safari, so we don't need a other browser to use. There is also an option to use chrome or firefox (But ive no clue where we can configure the browser settings like a home page etc)

Hope someone has a solution ;)

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Depending on what system you use internally for patient management you can also try the health care listener that can auto wipe iPads when the patient discharges. Jamf Setup and Reset could also technically be used.

https://docs.jamf.com/jamf-setup/configuration-guide/Overview.html

https://docs.jamf.com/jamf-reset/configuration-guide/Overview.html

https://docs.jamf.com/10.38.0/jamf-pro/documentation/Healthcare_Listener.html?hl=healthcare%2Clisten...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omceYIKlX4w - Based on older versions of HCL and Jamf Pro, so be aware of that.

Hello,

Yes this can also be an option. But still dont like the whole action of wiping the iPad and getting all the new iPad steps. But think we have a great solution now, and it saves alot of time with getting the iPad ready for a new patient.

Hey, what was your solution? TIA

RaxiaDK
Contributor

iPad is a 1:1 device, so the best ting is to reinstall the device evy time.

Violet8282
New Contributor

I can tell you what worked for me, what i did was this forced never directly full cache refresh for a specific webpage in Safari on iPhone. However, there are a couple of workarounds you can try to achieve a similar effect:-

Solution 1:- Clear Safari History and Website Data

• Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
  • Scroll down and tap on Safari.
  • Tap on Clear History and Website Data.
  • A pop-up will confirm your selection. Tap Clear History and Data to proceed.

Note:- This method clears the cache and browsing history for all websites, not just a specific one.

Solution 2:- Private Browsing Mode

• Open Safari on your iPhone.
  • Tap the aA button in the address bar.
  • Choose Private from the menu.

More effective assistance below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CqNeOlDyWg&ab_channel=TheGeekPage