Clear Recent Folders

jturnage
New Contributor III

Hi Everyone, we are trying to to Clear Recent Folders in Finder on all of our students machines as a one time pass because we had to hide a folder and don't want student being able to access this folder as this was a vulnerable folder to adding applications outside the whitelist/blacklist feature in JSS (Mac OS 10.9). For those that want to know. If you install Silverlight, this adds a PlayReady folder at /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/PlayReady. Dropping applications or copying and pasting them in this folder allows any application to be opened no matter the list. This folder is required for netflix so we don't want to change permissions as it requires specific permissions for netflix to work correct.

But I I have tried to delete the com.finder.plist from the user library preferences folder. killall SystemUIServer and Finder. This method didn't work. Applescript didn't work as this requires enabling applescript editor under privacy-accessibility.

I would greatly appreciate any direction to complete this task. Thanks in advanced for anyone who comments. Have a great day. Hope for something easy that I have simply looked over.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Did you also do a killall cfprefsd after deleting the plist? Mavericks has a tendency to really hold onto preferences and sometimes need a swift kick in the pants to let go of things. Killing Finder may not always be enough.

On a side note, how did this end up in the user's preferences? Did you copy an existing user account into the UserTemplate directory while making your image? Just wondering, because you may want to find out how it got there and fix the issue so you won't have to endlessly nuke the plist for every Mac you roll out going forward.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Did you also do a killall cfprefsd after deleting the plist? Mavericks has a tendency to really hold onto preferences and sometimes need a swift kick in the pants to let go of things. Killing Finder may not always be enough.

On a side note, how did this end up in the user's preferences? Did you copy an existing user account into the UserTemplate directory while making your image? Just wondering, because you may want to find out how it got there and fix the issue so you won't have to endlessly nuke the plist for every Mac you roll out going forward.