Clustering Status

dooley_do
New Contributor

I am running 9.98 and we use clustering as we have one internal JSS and one in the DMZ.

On the DMZ server if I go into the clustering page it shows localhost (DMZ server) and also my other JSS.

If I go into the master JSS the clustering page only shows the local server, no hint of the DMZ one.

It all seems to be working okay but it doesn't feel right...

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

mahughe
Contributor

Is the "Use Clustering" checked on the master JSS?

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

This is often due to using different user accounts per node in your mysql grants and is fine, just a little confusing in the gui. Such as:

grant all on databasename.* to FirstUser@IPofMaster identified by 'password'
grant all on databasename.* to SecondUser@IPofDMZserver identified by 'password'

FirstUser doesn't have access to view the process list connections for SecondUser and vice versa. But child nodes should still see the master defined, hence the DMZ seeing the master node.

This can be confirmed by logging into mysql as root an running the following command:

mysql -u root -p

use databasename;
show processlist;

Then if you were to log into mysql as your FirstUser and run the same commands you were see only the firstUser connections

mysql -u firstuser -p

use databasename;
show processlist;

Using different accounts can be more secure but if you want to have both accounts to be able to see each others connections you can follow the instructions in this pdf about MySQL: Securing Your JSS

What you would be looking for in there in particular would be the following command:

GRANT PROCESS ON *.* TO ‘<username>’@’<hostname>’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘<password>’;

dooley_do
New Contributor

Thanks Mike, that's perfect and what you have shown there is exactly how it is setup, with the user@hostname convention being used in MySQL.

I'll run the grant process and it should be clearer!