Compiling 10.10.4 Images and Recovery Partition

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Hi all,
I've been having problems getting the recovery partition just right with a compiled image using 10.10.4 and Casper Imaging 9.73.

It seems when you build an image that has both the main partition and the recovery partition included using composer and then you compile it, it will only write the main image back during the compilation.

I cannot seem to get the recovery partition to add using the old method of putting it in the configuration as an extra partition. If I do this then it names the recovery partition incorrectly and then Casper Imaging tries to set that as the boot drive and it boots to a folder with a question mark.

Anyone else doing this successfully? I played with AutoDMG however this would dramatically change my workflow and I'm trying to avoid it for now.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mikethompsett
New Contributor III

Try using 'Create Recovery Partition Installer' from Per Olofsson, University of Gothenburg.
Simply drag and drop the Install OS X Yosemite.app (or any version from 10.7 up) on to the App and it will build you a RecoveryPartition.pkg you can deploy.

Works for me.734df81a971b4e6287bd86f9fbb638a4

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mikethompsett
New Contributor III

Try using 'Create Recovery Partition Installer' from Per Olofsson, University of Gothenburg.
Simply drag and drop the Install OS X Yosemite.app (or any version from 10.7 up) on to the App and it will build you a RecoveryPartition.pkg you can deploy.

Works for me.734df81a971b4e6287bd86f9fbb638a4

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

That worked! Thanks. Makes it much simpler to install this after the fact and not during imaging.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Or, just use AutoDMG to build your base OS image, and never worry about the Recovery Partition, or Composer for that matter ;-)

The AutoDMG-created base OS images have both partitions. Don't need to mess around with partitioning in configurations, scripts to hide Recovery afterwards. It just works and far easier than the standard JAMF workflow...

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

AutoDMG would make me have to recreate a big portion of my workflow if I redid my base images this way. Perhaps next year when I have more time....

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools