Compiling using an external HDD as the DP for both source and destination

Look
Valued Contributor III

As the title said I am investigating whether it is possible to create compiled configurations using a local replication as both the source and destination.
Currently it always seems to try and read and compile back to the primary distribution point, which I understand from a Casper operational point of view.
We however currently do not use the compiled configurations within Casper, they are exported out to Deploy Studio and I was interested in how fast these would happen using a local SSD for everything.
I have successfully created the local drive using Casper Admin to replicate to it.
Has anybody else done anything similar, it's partly a bit of playing around, partly a might be useful type exercise.

3 REPLIES 3

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

That would be interesting. I believe that it will always compile to the master DP. You could, temporarily switch the 'Master' and compile locally. Then replicate and swap the master back. I've done that before while investigating replication issues. There are potential side effects of course depending on how your clients look for DPs.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@Look, or use AutoDMG to create your OS.dmg. https://github.com/MagerValp/AutoDMG

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

You certainly could. You'd have to pull your packages out of one of your DPs if you haven't kept copies elsewhere. However, it's an option. That said, it may be a worthy feature request. I quite like using Casper Imaging but I can understand where you're coming from.