Composer created .pkg's removing applications

luke_reagor
Contributor II

Has anyone else experienced the following issue? When using Composer to create .pkg files for apps that are a single .app, I have been reusing a previously created .pkg's source (like a template) and simply replacing the .app with new the one I want to have installed. It installs fine and I have not noticed any issues. However, today I found that if I have two different .pkg's that were created using the same "template" source in Composer, the one installed from the original .pkg goes on fine with no issues, but when I install the second .pkg that was created from the original, the application installed from the first .pkg will be deleted. Is this an intended feature of .pkg's or is it a bug?

3 REPLIES 3

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

If you don't adjust the package metadata and strings on your template you may just be installing your second package as an 'upgrade' or replacement of the first.

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

This works exactly as it is designed. As @blackholemac mentioned, Installer.app recognises packages with the same bundle identifier as an upgrade and previously installed files will be removed.

luke_reagor
Contributor II

Thanks, guys! That's exactly what I needed to know! :)