Composer Help

Euwanh
New Contributor III

I am trying to create a .app file into a package on composer. I drag it in from /Applications then change the permissions from 501 which is my user account, to -

Owner = Root
Group = Wheel

I then changed the mode to be 755. When I push it to my test machine I can see the applications fine in the applications folder but when I click get info, I see the app for my current user, it shows the user as system. I do not fully understand, how do I make it show as current the user?

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I'm not sure I understand the problem. What you're seeing is the expected behavior. You should change the owner and group to root/wheel just as you did, and that's how it gets deployed. What were you expecting to see when you say "how do I make it show as current the user?"

allanp81
Valued Contributor

Sounds like he wants to dynamically change the owner to the current user.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@allanp81 That may be. I'd like to hear directly from the OP if that's what they meant. If so though, my question would be why? Apps installed to /Applications/ don't have to be owned by the user, and probably shouldn't be. It's not that they can't be. I've seen this happen many times myself when manually installing products, but for deployment purposes, it shouldn't be necessary to change the ownership to any specific account. root/wheel is usually fine, and maybe even considered best practice.

Euwanh
New Contributor III

Aw thanks for the responses. I thought it needed to be owned by the user . If root/wheel is the best practice will stick with that.