Composer incompatibility with zsh

owenh-dow
New Contributor II

Wondering if anyone has come across this before; I've done a fair bit of searching, but haven't found anything.

I’m trying to make a signed package for Jamf Connect Notify with a cert made against the Jamf CA (need to shoot off a support ticket for that one, but that can wait), but Composer crashes with it, and I’ve isolated it to the following:

• If I make the package in Packages, import and then try to convert it to source in Composer, Composer crashes at the end of it
  • If I make the package but edit the postinstall script to be #!/bin/sh prior to building, it will import/convert fine, but if I then edit it in Composer to be zsh, it crashes immediately upon saving.

It seems that Composer cannot handle #!/bin/zsh at all - I've tested this with versions from 10.48 through to 11.0.1, with the behaviour repeating.

Has anyone else come across this behaviour before? Very frustrating, as it's holding up getting the Notify panes tested.

(M2 MBA, Sonoma 14.1, Composer 10.48 through 11.0.1)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

owenh-dow
New Contributor II

@sdagleyUnfortunately Packages only seems to give me the option of signing with Apple Developer certificates, and not the one I generated against the Jamf CA (as per this article). Otherwise I'd be set!

I've just found Hancock and that seems to do what I need, so I can dump Composer for this one - but it's still definitely a bug that I hope gets addressed in the future.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@owenh-dow Not that it isn't a good thing to identify the problem with using zsh scripts in Composer, but why would you need to import the package into Composer if you successfully created it with Packages? Packages does offer the option of signing packages it creates so you don't need Composer just for that. 

owenh-dow
New Contributor II

@sdagleyUnfortunately Packages only seems to give me the option of signing with Apple Developer certificates, and not the one I generated against the Jamf CA (as per this article). Otherwise I'd be set!

I've just found Hancock and that seems to do what I need, so I can dump Composer for this one - but it's still definitely a bug that I hope gets addressed in the future.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@owenh-dow Glad to hear you found a workaround. Probably worth sending feedback about the Apple Developer cert requirement via the Help menu in Packages as while that's the normal use case it's not a requirement (at least not currently).

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Owen,

Are you in an Education workplace?  If so, a Developer account can be free if you set up an Apple Developer Team

owenh-dow
New Contributor II

Hi mate, yep, I am. I'll have to look into that; would be good to get packages done properly for other things like automated printer installs. Thanks for that!