Configurations are stuck on "Pending" (Please Read)

corey_smith
New Contributor

I have only two machines out of my fleet of 1500+ computers that refuse to accept configurations. They will take policies but not configurations (e.i wireless profile) I tried the MDM fix by running

#!/bin/sh
jamf removeMDMProfile
rm -rf /var/db/ConfigurationProfiles
sleep 20
jamf mdm
sleep 20
jamf manage

This has been unsuccessful. However, I don't know if it is related but both of these machines were cloned from the users old machines because they had broken them. I don't know what else to do in order to get these machines to accept configurations from the jamf server. I have searched diligently for solutions and aside from running a jamf removeFramework I haven't come across anything that has worked.

Thank you in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

Look
Valued Contributor III

Packages and scripts are just functions run as an admin on the machines. Configuration profiles are done through Apple's APN network. I suspect this is pretty careful about machine identity and the fact the machines are cloned is probably upsetting it.
Not sure, but you might find running a macOS installer over the top again might reset any UIDS etc... in use and resolve it, backup beforehand of course as this may have seriosu unwanted consequences!
Also if they are user profiles were cloned across this might be upsetting user scoped profiles as well for similar reasons, some kind of identity information not matching or some such for the user concerned, you could probably get around that by recreating the users and then migrating just the data they actually need back into the new profile.

corey_smith
New Contributor

@Look Right and for some reason they don't want to go through. I would really like to avoid having to take the machine and migrate data because these computers are developers machines and would require a lot of reinstalling of software etc. Are there any other back jamf commands that are out there that can help try to correct these issues without have to migrate user profiles.

dancarnovale
New Contributor II

Sorry to bump an old thread, but there's only 2 discussions of this on jamf.com (the other is at https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/20719/policy-stuck-at-pending) and neither provides a resolution.

Did you manage to get further with this as I'm also seeing machines stuck in the "Pending" state, though manually running the policy works fine (using sudo jamf -policy (id) ).

Thank you.
eed5b03121214f4081122b8b7b881570

AdamCraig
Contributor III

In the past i've directed users to the jamfcloud.com/enroll site and had them login and enroll their computers (or come to the helpdesk so we can do it for them) and that has resolved these issues.

dancarnovale
New Contributor II

I think that's been replaced with the "Enrollment Invitations" Feature, I did it recently for a user to resolve a separate issue.

Are you saying they should do that even if their machine's serial is already in JAMF (otherwise it wouldn't be listed at all in the Pending list)?

Thank you

AdamCraig
Contributor III

Correct. The MDM profile may need to be user approved. I've had computers that are checking with jamf and fully functional in every way except for config profiles. Re-enrolling via the website has resolved the config profile issue in my experience.

dancarnovale
New Contributor II

I've sent an Enrollment Invitation to one user in the Pending list (and he followed the process through, Installing both Certificated), but it still did not seem to resolve. I notice the Last Check-In value for his machine still reports "05/20/2019 at 11:37 AM". Would it be safe to uncheck the "Managed by JAMF Pro" option and Re-Check it? We've Unchecked in the past to resolve the License count issue, but not sure if this will work to help update the check-in (and hence have the Policy re-run, as it is set to run on Check-in).

Thank you.