Ipad Deployments

Shuster
New Contributor

I am new to Jamf Pro. Have used Jamf Now in the past but wanted something more granular.

I have gone through all the online training for ipad ios and cannot figure out the best way to implement and streamline our solution. I also saw something called Apple configurator and not sure how to use that with Jamf Pro.

We developed an application that runs on Ipads through a chrome browser. We travel all over the country installing application. The solution are installed in Oral Surgery offices which consist of Ipads and our application.

When we arrive in the Oral Surgery, we would like to just be able to turn on our ipads and have them already configured instead of manually configuring each one.

The following are requirements that need to implemented:
1)All the Ipads at each location need to have the same passcode. (Want to have it in a configuration file so we do not need to set it for each ipad)

2)Each location has it own wifi passwords so we need to be able import those settings into the Ipad before we arrive so we can turn them on and go.

3)Install Chrome app and set bookmark. I know how to have it install Chrome but not sure how to set the bookmark automatically.

4)Set the homepage on the Ipad to have the apps set in certain locations like we do manually.

Please let me know if the requirements above are possible and where I can get more information on implementing them.

Thanks
-Dimitry

2 REPLIES 2

mickgrant
Contributor III

If you own the iPad's and they are new then you need to sign up for DEP (Device enrollment program), this lets you have them automatically enrol during setup assistant. you assign which iPads get what settings via Prestage enrollment
you scope a config profile with wifi, set the homepage app locations and lock em there, whatever you want etc to the pre-stage so that the iPad picks it up automatically.

I don't believe it's possible to add bookmarks to chrome on iOS with an MDM. (love to be corrected)

Your other option is to get somebody to make your chrome app into an IOS app and then just install that, but not knowing what the app is I don't know how feasible that is.

Shuster
New Contributor

I figured out most of the things and setup the ipads as needed.

I am still stuck on two things and am hoping you can direct me in the right direction.

1)I still cannot figure out how to set the passcode programmatically. The System Engineer from Jamf, told me to look at app config but it does not have any good examples on how to implement it. Would anyone be able to send me an example on how to implement any app configuration for the ipad commands?

2)I also cannot figure out how to set a bookmark programmatically in chrome. Maybe there is a better solution like web clips but when I tried that by putting googlechrome://www.google.com, it opens safari first and then the user has to click cancel or open.

What I am trying to accomplish is we have different departments and each department will have different homepage and/or bookmarks.

The System Engineer also told me to look at app config for this but I also could not find any useful information on it.

Thanks
-Dimitry