Configurator removing mdm profiles

sskelton68
New Contributor II

Whenever I sync supervised iOS 7 devices in configurator 1.4 the Jamf profiles are getting removed. I do not have the "Remove apps and profiles Configurator did not install" box checked in configurator preferences.

8 REPLIES 8

jallen
New Contributor

I know this doesn't help you much, but I have been having issues with Configurator also. It won't actually install the profiles from Configurator.

Just voicing my issue.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I am seeing this behavior as well. When you have all of your profiles checked off (MDM included of course), and you refresh, Configurator removes the MDM profile (notice Self Service disappearing). It puts the MDM profile right back on, but the unfortunate side-effect of this behavior is that any Apps deployed via Casper with the "Remove app when MDM profile is removed" checked off go up in smoke during the refresh.

mitch_gardner
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hello All:

Do we have any profiles that were created in a previous version of Apple Configurator? I've just been working on this issue as well. It seems that any profile that was created originally in a previous version of Configurator (i.e. a WiFi profile to use during iOS Enrollment), will have to be recreated after upgrading to Apple Configurator 1.4 to be compatible with iOS 7.

If we are on the latest version of Apple Configurator 1.4, we can try re-creating the profile(s) in Configurator, and we'll also want to create a new enrollment profile in the JSS as well (on 8.72 or 9.1) so that it's the latest version that is iOS 7 compatible with our enrollment profile.

For Enrolling with Configurator:

Casper Suite Administrator's Guide 8.7 (for 8.72 and previous):
http://www.jamfsoftware.com/libraries/pdf/products/documentation/Casper_Suite_Administrators_Guide.pdf
(Page 408: Enrollment)

Casper Suite Administrator's Guide 9.1:
http://www.jamfsoftware.com/sites/default/files/Casper_Suite_9.0_Administrators_Guide.pdf
(Page 362: Enrollment Profiles)

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Mitch,

Yes, my WiFi profile was created in a previous version of Configurator. It does not seem to be having any issues though. I don't see WiFi disconnect and re-connect upon refresh. I made a new Casper enrollment profile in Casper (version 8.72), with the target OS being 7. I deleted the old enrollment profile from Configurator (which was failing with SCEP errors) and imported the new one. The profile is installing correctly, but is experiencing the issue with the profile being removed and then re-added upon refresh.

-Dan

jbrummer
New Contributor

I am getting this as well. It is making it extremely frustrating when updating to iOS 7. I wish Apple Configurator would allow you to make changes to a single aspect of the device, such as only profiles, or only update the OS, rather than syncing everything every time. What is even more frustrating is it seems to be doing this with devices that were not even enrolled with configurator.

mwalthour
New Contributor

I had this issue in our K12, I called apple and they know about it. It's not a setting or anything you can control but instead a bug and they have no timetable for release. Below is my email from them after my phone call,

"I am adding impact with our engineers for you regarding two known issues:

- Enrollment profiles for MDM being removed upon refreshing a Supervised device - Paid apps changing to "Free" upon importing an App update

Sincerely,
Ryan Harvey
Apple "

Bedfords
New Contributor II

We are having the same problem. We have to reinstall the Casper Self-Service. It also takes out the Passcode. When we first run through the Apple Configurator (1.4) the first time it installs IOS 7.0.2 even though we already have it loaded.

Olson
New Contributor III

AC 1.4 is a mess right now. We have lots of kids with unmanaged iPads right now, because they updated to IOS7. Just as an FYI, In AC 1.4, I can create a backup of an IOS6 iPad, then restore it as I update to IOS7. This is the only way I can update my students supervised IOS6 iPads to IOS7 AND keep management working. Also, I've yet to successfully create a backup of a supervised IOS7 iPad in AC 1.4. So, for those students who could not wait to update to IOS7, I can't simply make a backup of their IOS7 device in AC 1.4, restore it and have management working again.