Release Candidate Programs Tester

I've started to stumble across the error

Connection with distnoted server was invalidated
in the jamf.log on my clients...

Any idea what it means?

29 REPLIES 29

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

I've also started seeing this. 10.8 client, 8.61 JSS.

2012-10-16 15:15:14.232 jamf[2400:1d1b] Connection with distnoted server was invalidated

bentoms

Same. 10.8.2 clients 8.61...

T_Riding
New Contributor

Same here, during policy failures. Grr! Anyone shine any light on this?

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

same here too.
v8.62

franton
Valued Contributor III

I've only seen it when the mac was rebooted/powered down in the middle of a file transfer.

franton
Valued Contributor III

Correction: i've been told by one of my colleagues that it's happening regardless. We're on v8.62 as well.

stlukesgrammar
New Contributor III

Same here on a 10.8.2 client, 8.62 installed. I came across it when trying to find out why our student mcx settings were not applying - sot sure if its related or not...

Cem
Valued Contributor

yep I have seen it on my 10.8.2 Netboot. When Casper Imaging.app auto launches throws the pop up window with the error, but click ok then all works. We are running jss 8.6.

POP UP WINDOW -with Casper Imaging .app logo & OK radio button- READS AS BELOW:

Unable to resolve host in
2012-11-05 22:25:43.951 defaults[192:1803]
Connection with distnoted server was invalidated
https://myjssserver.com:8443/
Check your network connection and try again

solomonacquah
New Contributor

Just wanted to add to the group that I am seeing the same error on 10.8.2 clients using 8.6.2. right after Casper checks for Startup policy's.

acdesigntech
Contributor II

Any resolution to this as yet? 10.8 client, 8.62 server. Happens consistently after I update a client to OS 10.8 from 10.6, then add a launchd item to run on startup that does a jamf enroll on reboot. I have a policy set to run every 15 minutes on newly updated 10.8 clients. As soon as that policy kicks in, I get "Connection with distnoted server was invalidated" and then a reboot.

franton
Valued Contributor III

I'm getting it with a wide variety of tasks. The two it regularly occurs with that I can remember offhand is 1) Using kickstart to reprogram the ARD settings and 2) Our power management script when pmset fails for some reason.

Unlike my previous post, I can't work out rhyme or reason for it.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I have also seen this on occasion. Although I don't know exactly what causes it, 'disnoted' stands for 'distributed notification server' and is a child process to launchd. Have no clue what it actually does though, or more importantly, why anything related to policies would be affected by it.. Here's a brief note on it from an Apple Developer page. It leaves more questions than answers though:
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/distnoted.8.ht...

acdesigntech
Contributor II

Interestingly enough, I've taken out two scripts I had in that policy: one to uninstall Symantec 12.1.671 and one to run software update in a conditional loop until there are no updates left.

The policy ran, but just before reboot it gives me the distnoted error... I'm putting the scripts back one at a time, so we'll see where the error lies I guess.

I also have a pmset command to trigger power on at 3:30 am. I've recently disabled that though since it is pretty unreliable anyway, and seems to be related to this type of weirdness (allegedly).

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Hit this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3960

At least on the Windows side of things, distnoted.exe has to do with iOS & iTunes synching. I'd think I'd see it if I were collecting mobile device info as part of my inventory collection, but I'm not...

acdesigntech
Contributor II

Big shock: It ended up being the Symantec removal command. Haven't done a whole lot of testing with it, but I'm using the SymantecRemoval.command command that comes with the installer to uninstall Symantec, and it's probably expecting an active login session. My 10.8 upgrade assumes no active console session, and makes it so if there happens to BE an interactive console session.

Ends up not being a big deal since the 12.1.1000 installer will upgrade 12.1.671 - allegedly - so no real need to remove Symantec in the first place. I just thought it might be cleaner, but meh.

I'm assuming distnoted to be something that is now required for configuration profiles or something like that, since you have to enable all sorts of push notification services to get config profiles for 10.7/8 clients. Jared's link goes hand in hand with another that I found: http://www.westwind.com/reference/os-x/background-processes.html, and I only started noticing these messages once I enabled APNs on 8.62. Prior to doing that, I didn't see anything referring to distnoted.

Jared - I'm not collecting mobile device info either... so I don't think it's that, but it does seem to be a moving target based on the comments in this thread...

jarednichols
Honored Contributor
Jared - I'm not collecting mobile device info either... so I don't think it's that, but it does seem to be a moving target based on the comments in this thread...

Yeah, it does. I'm not collecting mobile devices nor do we use Symantec so...

nicolebaumgart
New Contributor

Also seeing this error in our client imaging logs. Not sure if it's effecting our images yet but seems to occur after admin account creation.

rseide
Contributor

I just came across this error this morning when i was testing Apple Software Updates on a computer overnight. I didn't do anything special. Just set up a plain Software Update policy to run on 1 computer overnight.

Here's the log:

Waiting to install OS X Update  
Checking packages…
Installing 
About 6 minutes
About 5 minutes
About 4 minutes2013-06-07 01:14:26.693 softwareupdate[12902:2813] Connection with distnoted server was invalidated

Package failed: There was a problem with the system installer tool.

Done.
Running command /sbin/shutdown -r +3...
Result of command:
shutdown: [pid 13406]
Shutdown at Fri Jun 7 01:17:28 2013.
shutdown: can't detach from console
Running Recon...
Submitting log to https://jss.mycompany.com:8443//...
Submitting encoded log to https://jss.mycompany.com:8443//...
Log was not written in the JSS. Will store locally.

10.8.3 was on the target computer. I just checked inventory and it's still at 10.8.3, so the Software Update didn't apply.

Has there been a fix to this? Symantec is not on the target computer and there is no instance of Windows, either.

jserapio
New Contributor

I get this error in the JAMF log as well.

8.7 JSS and 10.8.2 and 10.8.3 clients.

MacMaul
New Contributor II

Happening on our end too. 8.71 JSS and 10.8.4 clients.

Bartoo
New Contributor III

We're seeing this too:
Server is running Mac OS 10.8.4
JSS is 8.7.1
Clients are all 10.8.4

2 failures in a 220 user app rollout policy-
policy 1 caches the package for all users, recons and adds the user to a "Has Package X cached" Smart Group
policy 2 says that if they are members of the "Has Package X cached" Smart Group, then install the cached package on log out.

the errors occur on Policy 2:

/usr/sbin/jamf is version 8.71
Executing Policy Install Firefox 23...
Installing Firefox 23.0.pkg...
Installation failed. The installer reported: 2013-09-04 11:17:14.156 installer[923:1f03] Connection with distnoted server was invalidated
installer: Error trying to locate volume at /
Running Recon...

We're not running Symantic

jeffrey_fesunof
New Contributor

One one MacBook Pro 10.8.4 we got this error today. Self Service can refresh and show the latest policy but immediately fails when trying to run a policy, even ones that have been working before. No error logs are returned in the JAMF web browser for our site for the given MacBook. Other MacBooks are not affected and are working to launch policies successfully. We have tried a sudo JAMF enroll, installing over another QuickAdd pkg for enrollment and a reboot but the issue continues to exist.

Usually a Checking for policy ###... is followed by the name of the policy.

2013-09-05 16:20:06.513 jamf[3648:1a07] Connection with distnoted server was invalidated
Thu Sep 5 16:21:03 EUSJGALA001 jamf[329]: Checking for policies triggered by "startup"...
Thu Sep 5 16:22:06 EUSJGALA001 jamf[468]: Checking for policies triggered by "login" for user <user>...
Thu Sep 5 16:22:39 EUSJGALA001 jamf[688]: Checking for policy ID 109...
Thu Sep 5 16:39:10 EUSJGALA001 jamf[847]: Checking for policies triggered by "every15"...

Is there any resolution to the root cause of why this would start suddenly and how to resolve?

scottb
Honored Contributor

Got one today too. First time I've seen this error.
Just upgraded from 8.64 to 8.73 this past weekend.
The package it stumbled on was a login install of which over 300 have been fine so far.
Will check logs on the client Mac to see what was going on.

Installation failed. The installer reported: 2013-12-12 14:31:41.417 installer[3158:1103] Connection with distnoted server was invalidated
installer: Error trying to locate volume at / Unmounting file server... Running Recon...

scottb
Honored Contributor

Seeing more of these in 8.7.3 than with 8.6.4. I guess that will motivate us to go to 9.22 now.

bentoms

Hi all,

Are you using JAMF MCX or Config profiles?

I think it's related to that, as I've seen disnoted errors in console for MCX (not JSS).

FWIW, I've upgraded to v9 so will keep an eye out.

AlanSmith
Contributor

Have been trying to troubleshoot why my Profiles are not getting 'Pushed' to the clients as expected and came across this error as well.

Running JSS 8.73 still with Mac OS X v10.8.5 clients

aamjohns
Contributor II

Hello,
I am all of a sudden seeing this on a couple machines that were enrolled recently. I've had JSS up and running for year and a half and never once have I seen this error.

One thing that is different, maybe related, maybe not, is on these particular systems, we are doing a process of migrating their local account to their ads account. I won't detail how we do it but it basically has to do with using root to change ownership of the local profile folder to the ads account. In testing this seemed to work fine. But now the tech is going out doing this and now I'm seeing this error which I think might be more than a coincidence.

I'm going to have a look at one of the machines today and see if I can get any insight to the issue, but I was wondering if any figured out how to fix this, or what causes this?

Thanks,
Aaron.

jeffrey_fesunof
New Contributor

Temporary work around: I had used Activity Monitor to find distnoted and killed the process several times then the JAMF Self Service was able to run the package.

Distnoted is listed as a process related to iTunes. If Apple ID's are in use see if they are logged out of the Apple Store and iTunes on the related profiles.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3960

aamjohns
Contributor II

Thank you Jeffrey for giving me something to go on. I appreciate it. Aaron.