Considering Upgrading to 9.3.1

wmateo
Contributor

has anyone encountered any issues when moving to 9.3.1 - I am considering upgrading my JSS and wanted to know if 9.3.1 was worth it. I am currently on 9.3

17 REPLIES 17

asegura
Contributor

I just upgraded our test server and didnt run into any issues. Our test server was running 9.23. Just had to ensure that I disabled the Antivirus and stop the tomcat service. I ran the installer via alleviated permissions command prompt.

avenegas
New Contributor

No issues here we have been running 9.31 for a couple of weeks now.

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

Improvement over 9.3 big time for us. Fixed all the ldap issues we had on 9.3. Haven't noticed any big issues.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

We upgraded the JSS to 9.31 yesterday. Running smoothly so far. (Should I knock on wood?)

scottb
Honored Contributor

Do any of you long-timers ever do any voodoo before an upgrade?
Clean out logs.
Restart MySQL
Restart Tomcat
etc, before the upgrade? Aside from the obvious backups, etc. I was wondering if you have anything that's not in the docs. We've done a bunch of minor updates, but we're going from 8.73 to 9.31 next week.

chris_kemp
Contributor III

Clearing out the logs can definitely shorten an upgrade, since it shrinks the database size significantly. Hadn't thought of restarting MySQL/Tomcat prior to upgrading, but it couldn't hurt.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

The only voodoo I do is to restart the VM and take a snapshot of it after restart. I have my logs set to pretty low settings already, so they are fairly small. It still took over an hour to do the SQL backup before running the upgrade.

wmateo
Contributor

Awesome. Thanks Guys!!!

freddie_cox
Contributor III

With our clustered setup the only web-app that I do much voodoo on is the current cluster master.

I will usually give it a reboot to apply any pending updates and stop tomcat before launching the installer from an elevated prompt.

The rest of the servers don't always get treated as well outside of the elevated prompt. Rebuilding is sometimes just as fast. I've got backups of all my config files to throw in place should I need them.

Also currently on 9.31 and haven't had any issues related to the upgrade.

Not applicable

Went from 9.24 to 9.31, no issues - have noticed that I did have to re-Recon several machines but I think those were leftovers from the 9.2x days.

clifhirtle
Contributor II

I've upgraded our test server over 2 dozen times across each of the 9.x releases. It is still not possible to upgrade our 8.7.3 DB without backing up the JSS folder, completely deleting the webapps folder pre-install, then copying the TomcatSSLKeystore back over to ensure no loss of certificate trust chain. Not unworkable, but certainly a bit of a PITA.

For this reason, as well as the lack of centralized log viewing, we've held off upgrading to 9.x.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@clifhirtle, which OS etc?

8.73 - 9.2 worked fine except for using the wrong DP's.

9.2-9.3 worked fine too.

clifhirtle
Contributor II

@bentoms Windows server VM.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Interesting. We're OSX server.

Maybe start a thread seeing if others with a similar setup have found the same issue? (If you haven't already).

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@clifhirtle - fwiw, we are windows server vm as well. I upgraded our test environment from 8.64 to 8.73 to 9.31 yesterday, without doing anything special. all of my test computers are communicating ok as is my test iOS device.

If there's some info I can give you from our environment, let me know.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

I ran into a situation where we upgraded from 8.73 to 9.3 then to 9.31 and we have some Mac OS 10.9.x systems that will check in at the recurring check in but will not run policies. How I noticed was we have our computers do an Update Inventory policy daily and a group of computers with Mac OS 10.9.x were doing their check in but not updating their inventory. Some common threads among these systems are they all shipped with Mac OS 10.9.x, none of them were imaged using Casper Imaging, most were enrolled using an older QuickAdd.pkg but upgraded the JAMF binary at the time of enrollment and they all worked fine up until the day we upgraded to version 9.3. Since then I've been unable to get them to properly work with the new version. I've removed the framework and reinstalled but that hasn't helped. JAMF support hasn't provided any solutions yet to the problem. We are running our server on a Mac Mini with Mac OS 10.9.x. by the way.

clifhirtle
Contributor II

@CasperSally I'm not saying it's expected behavior, just reporting as a heads-up on what I've seen over the course of 30+ upgrades of our Casper DB across each of the 9.x updates. JAMF Support has excellent in finding that workaround of deleting the webapps folder and re-importing the Tomcat SSL key, but it's not an issue that's improved or gone away for us across any of the 9.x releases. I'm not sure what makes our DB so unique, as I've gone through and optimized/cleaned the DB I don't know how many times.