CrashPlan Privacy Payload

TomDay
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Anyone built the payload for CrashPlan yet that wants to share out?https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/553/preparing-your-organization-for-user-data-protections-on-macos-10-14

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TomDay

Here is a screen shot of my completed config profile if it's to use to someone hopefully. Built with the PPPC Utility. Issue with my previous config was I was using the wrong file path for the CrashPlan app.

dd03284e2ee6437f95c147616bb3246d

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Very interested in this too.

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

Does it need one? In my very very simple CrashPlan testing it worked without one... That said I am seen my auto config fail more often...

C

TomDay

@gachowski I'm basing on this CP KB post

jtrant
Valued Contributor

I think it depends on what type of data you're backing up (e.g contacts, pictures). In our case we back up neither, but we have reached out to our TAM for guidance and I'll update here when we get a response.

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

@TomDay

Good Catch... my users thank you big time!!! Kinda funny that they spent the time to write the article, and could have spend 10 minutes more and "show" the code to build your profile... instead of having even macOS customer open a ticket and ask for help. : )

C

TomDay

@gachowski I have to thank my colleague Dustin that is leading up a Mojave pilot and verifying support/compatibility of all software, he found this CP info.

I have information from someone on Slack that built a payload. Once I have mine built and tested, I'll share out.

TomDay

Great conversation on this in the #code42 channel of MacAdmins on Slack. Head there for details, but in short to build the payload you need 6.7.2 and higher, anything lower the CrashPlanService.app isn't signed and will exit. I'm planing a server upgrade to 6.8.4 now.

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

:)

I opened a ticket for help too!!

C

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

Sound like we can just point the Jamf tool...

https://github.com/jamf/PPPC-Utility

At the CrashPlan app and we should be ok, that said I haven't tested that yet...

C

PS here is the list of what and were stuff get installed by CP

https://support.code42.com/Administrator/6/Monitoring_and_managing/File_and_folder_hierarchy#Mac1

JefferyAnderson
Contributor

I ran this utility and uploaded the payload and deployed it to a couple test devices. I see the Configuration Profile that I created, but it did not add the Crashplan app to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Full Disk Access. Is this the correct behavior?

Also, prior to deploying this payload, I spot checked a few users' Crashplan archives and even though they are on Mojave, we still have backup data for files in the ~/pictures folder. So I'm wondering what is actually not getting backed up by Crashplan without deploying the payload?

By the way, we are on Code42 version 6.8.7, JAMF 10.9, and macOS 10.14.3.

sshort
Valued Contributor

@Jeffery_Anderson Any PPPC profiles you deploy won't appear in the Privacy tab, only user-approved apps will show there. Apple may change that behavior in the future, so really the only way to double-check your work is to ensure the profile appears in the Profiles prefpane in System Preferences.

JefferyAnderson
Contributor

Thanks for the reply!

TomDay

Bring this conversation back to life and I have created a profile with the PPPC utility and deployed to a test machine. CrashPlan is not backing up Photos on 10.14 even after deploying a PPPC profile. I've tried with the profile set to allow All Files and Admin Files, and then adding Allow Photos as well for the app location Applications/CrashPlan.app/Contents/Library/LaunchServices/CrashPlanService.app. I can backup and restore any pictures in the users Photobooth library but not the Photos Library. Scratching my head for 3 days battling this. Server and client are version 6.8.4, maybe a bug in that version? If I don't use the PPPC profile and grant full disk access to CrashPlan in System preferences, it works fine.d1cb922f23854d40ae7d1c2b9d07b0d2

TomDay

Here is a screen shot of my completed config profile if it's to use to someone hopefully. Built with the PPPC Utility. Issue with my previous config was I was using the wrong file path for the CrashPlan app.

dd03284e2ee6437f95c147616bb3246d