Creating images with Self-Service installed

luispalumbo
Contributor

Hi there,

I'd like to know how can I create an image to be deployed on students and staff computers with Self-Service installed on that.

I'm asking that because we usually send the image to Apple so when getting the new MacBooks, they are already setup the way we want, so students and staff will only create their accounts and start using it straight from the box.

I created an image with Self-Service installed and deployed it into another MacBook, but the JSS didn't recognize that computer as a new one nor updated the settings.

Any ideas???

3 REPLIES 3

nessts
Valued Contributor II

settings, computer management, self service, you can put the checkbox on so that all computers get it when they are in the JSS, and you can use recon to make a quickadd package that you can put in your image with apple so all computers have the package when they boot.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

To expand on what Todd said, until the machine is in the JSS, Self Service will not work. So just adding the .app to the image will not suffice. Each machine will need to be added to the JSS.

At my former company we had looked at doing a very similar workflow with CDW. We met with Blaine and Zach and discussed it with them. The consensus at the time was to create a launchd item that would kick off a QuickAdd install, that would in turn get the machine into the JSS.

If your JSS is not external facing, you could have a problem with machines not being able to connect to the JSS if they are started for the first time off the network. So you might want to think through that. Perhaps setting some logic up that checks for the JSS, and if a connection can be made, then runs QuickAdd, otherwise it waits for the next login attempt.

luispalumbo
Contributor

Thanks for your prompt replies, guys.

I'll do what you guys mentioned in here then.

Thank you very much.