CS4

macboy
Contributor

I am in the process of upgrading several lab machines to CS4.

I created the package and distributed and get a 150:30 error. I sent an email to Jamf and they sent back some fixes for it. The Licensing Service Update worked but is an applescript. The problem is it makes a lot of calls to several scripts so Jamf software says there is no way to make it distributable.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Is anyone getting CS4 to install. My license is a multiple site license if that makes any difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

macboy
Contributor

I am in the process of upgrading several lab machines to CS4.

I created the package and distributed and get a 150:30 error. I sent an email to Jamf and they sent back some fixes for it. The Licensing Service Update worked but is an applescript. The problem is it makes a lot of calls to several scripts so Jamf software says there is no way to make it distributable.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Is anyone getting CS4 to install. My license is a multiple site license if that makes any difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Not applicable

I'm currently testing it out right now. How are you doing it. Are you making dmg's and using Casper's Adobe Install just like CS3 or are you using the Deployment Utils from Adobe and using a custom policy?

I'm planning on making a Deployment package and a custom policy that will copy the installer and run the AdobeUberInstaller application for silent install.

Ryan Harter
UW - Stevens Point
Workstation Developer
Ryan.Harter at uwsp.edu

Not applicable

If you have site licensing then you should have gotten an Adobe CS4 Deployment Toolkit disk with your dvd's. I just used that to create the package.

AFAIK Adobe licenses go into a database on the client, so if you make a package for that, the database won't work quite right, and if you make more than one package then one will overwrite the shared database. We used to get around this by packaging them all on the same machine and making sure they went in the same order every time. That was in the CS2 days, however.

The Deployment toolkit makes a package (really just a folder) that contains:
/AdobeUberInstaller
/AdobeUberUninstaller
/AdobeUberInstaller.xml
/AdobeUberUninstaller.xml

The xml files point to the installer, which can be on an afp share, and running the AdobeUberInstaller as root runs a silent install and lets you suppress the EULA, etc. My plan is to write a script that will:

1. Either use casper to copy the deployment package down or just mount a share to do it.
  2. Run /AdobeUberInstaller
  3. srm /CS4 Deployment Package

As far as I can think, it should be as simple as that. Perhaps some extra testing to make sure we don't screw anything up, but that should be it.

What do you think? Has anyone tried anything similar?

Ryan Harter
UW - Stevens Point
Workstation Developer
Ryan.Harter at uwsp.edu

macboy
Contributor

Ok I got the package built for CS4 Web Premium.....

It does not work when I am not logged in. Looks like it is but sits for hours on end. If I reboot and then log in with admin ID and run it works fine and does the install. Has anyone had any luck running it on a machine that is not logged into? Is this something I will have to do? DO I need to create a script to log me in before I do this install? If so any ideas on what I need it to do?

Hope this all makes sense. So hate adobe installers.......wish they could get their act together like the everyone else.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated from anyone that has CS4 installer working.

Thanks!

ernstcs
Contributor III

The way that I've worked my patching for Adobe CS3, since some of those patches appeared to need to have a login active, is what I'll use to install CS4. I haven't had a few minutes to set it up.

But basically after imaging I have a script for At Reboot that triggers a policy that does these things:

Creates a new local user Applies an autologon package for that user Places a local copy of the JAMFhelper Restarts the computer

At restart the user account logs in in which there is a policy that is set for that particular user that does:

Calls the local JAMF Helper Applies all of the CS3 patches I make available Uninstalls autologon package for that user Restores the default LoginWindow prefs Installs a startup item for cleanup Restarts the computer

At restart the cleanup package does:

Deletes the local account that was created for patching Deletes the startup item Runs a recon cycle Triggers a final policy mainly for logging that the patching process completed

Essentially I'll use the same process, instead of patching installing CS4. Not sure if this is the best way to deal with it, but that's what I came up with.

Might get to this this week for testing. I can let you know...

Craig E

Not applicable

I have followed the guides to package CS4 and it fails. I used composer and created the DMG as the articles say to do, copying parts of CD 2 into a folder you make that contains CD1 etc. It starts the install and just kind of sits there all day. 7 hours into the day.. its still "installing". Jamf said to try when the machine was not logged in as a user, same thing.

So I figured I'd just capture my entire image as an OS. That went through O.K. No major issues. I then imaged a machine using that new OS image. Adobe CS4 has an error on fonts in the Cmap folder. Solution is to re-install Adobe CS4. I can't think of what Composer is doing to strip the OS so that I can't include Adobe in the image?

Kathie Iorizzo
Lower School Technician
The Latin School of Chicago
kiorizzo at latinschool.org