Curious on Single App Deployment for macOS

Servontius
New Contributor II

Hey All,

Hoping someone can help clarify something for me. Wondering if it is possible to deploy an app/pkg to a computer on a non recurring basis after Enrollment. Example:

I create a report of computers that don't have our in-house VPN App for one reason or another. Can I then target those machines on the report and install the app via a Policy one time? 

Giving the user the option to pull it via Self Service with email communications on a deadline the app has to be installed by, has still resulted in some users still not installing the app manually, so I am wondering if I am able to do a one time push or if there is a better way to complete this task?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tangentism
Contributor II

You can set the policy execution frequency to 'once per computer', have the scope set to a smart group of machines without the app and enable the 'Maintenance' module so that an inventory runs at the end. Once installed, the machine will then be out of scope.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Tangentism
Contributor II

You can set the policy execution frequency to 'once per computer', have the scope set to a smart group of machines without the app and enable the 'Maintenance' module so that an inventory runs at the end. Once installed, the machine will then be out of scope.

That got me exactly what I needed. Thank you for your solution!!

merlin
New Contributor III

Hi,
you can create a Smart Computer Group containing computers with the app installed, then push a policy with your choosen frequency (daily, monthly, ..) to everyone but the members of the Smart Group added as an exclusion.

dwbergstrom
New Contributor III

This should be possible to do via a policy which uses as its target scope a Smart Group composed of the computers which do not have the app.  You could then set the policy execution frequency to "once per computer", and monitor the Smart Group to make sure the install completes as computer check in (ideally the Smart Group would end up with no computers in it).

scottb
Honored Contributor

All of the above are correct, but make sure you add a "recon" in the policy so the smart group updates after the install(s).

scottb
Honored Contributor

Sorry @Tangentism - I see that you put that into your reply - d'oh!

Servontius
New Contributor II

Thank you everyone for your input. It sounds like you were all on the money with your suggestions. I appreciate y'all.

scottb
Honored Contributor

That's what makes it a great place to learn, help and get help!  Glad it's working now.  Changes to the Profile are immediate - as long as you deploy it after it has been altered.  Pretty slick!  You can literally make a change and deploy it to all Macs online (and on macOS 12.1+) and have it change before your eyes.