Custom Settings in Configuration Profiles...

Rosko
Contributor II
Contributor II

Okay, this is the first time creating a custom configuration profile so I want to be sure this is correct.

I am trying to push a setting to disable the preview column in columns view. Here is what I have for a plist to upload.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>StandardViewOptions</key>
    <dict>
        <key>ColumnViewOptions</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ColumnShowIcons</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Can anyone confirm or deny if this is correct? I only want to push out the "ColumnShowIcons" key.

Thanks,
Josh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rosko
Contributor II
Contributor II

Okay, well I sent it off to a test machine and it did exactly what I wanted. The only thing I noticed is you have to relaunch Finder for it to take effect...anybody got any simple ideas on accomplishing this?

Thanks,
Josh

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Rosko
Contributor II
Contributor II

Okay, well I sent it off to a test machine and it did exactly what I wanted. The only thing I noticed is you have to relaunch Finder for it to take effect...anybody got any simple ideas on accomplishing this?

Thanks,
Josh

hkabik
Valued Contributor

Modern Mac OSs have pretty aggressive preference locking...

I often have to push a:

killall cfprefsd

For preferences changes to take effect, give that a shot?

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

^locking^caching^ but otherwise, you are correct. For performance reasons, starting in OS X Mavericks 10.9, prefs are cached. This makes troubleshooting... interesting.

Rosko
Contributor II
Contributor II

So I tried that command and it still remains until Finder is relaunched...but how are/would you pass that command? There isn't a way to trigger a Smart Group based on Configuration Profiles that I can find...

Rosko
Contributor II
Contributor II

Okay...so I made a extension attribute to see if the configuration profile is applied, then made a smart group to see what computers have the configuration profile applied, then finally made a policy scoped to that smart group to send a "sudo killall Finder" command.

Done. lol