Custom trigger vs. Policy ID?

ganidran
New Contributor III

Any advantages in using a custom trigger to trigger policies vs. using their IDs? Just curious if I can skip a step in adding all the policies I want to call in the script a custom name when they already have an ID attached to 'em.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

If you ever delete the policy, whether on purpose or on accident, you have to go update the policy ID in your scripts. If you use a custom trigger you shouldn't have to do that, as long as you use the same trigger name as before.

It's also easier to remember a custom trigger name than it is a policy ID. So when you're at someone's computer (physically or remote) you don't have to remember the Chrome install policy was #15, you just have to remember the custom trigger was "installchrome". And so if you keep a naming schema like that for all triggers you can easily recall from afar.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

talkingmoose

A policy can only have one unique ID, but you can add a custom trigger name to multiple policies. They should run alphanumerically when you call the custom trigger name.

I like custom names because I can name them to represent what the the policies do, which makes reading something like a script easier.

Ahhh I see - so in essence say, we call 10 policies in one script and create their trigger to be a custom name of "bestNameEver" each, then those 10 policies get pulled and logs are clean. Makes sense if so. Thank you! :D

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

If you ever delete the policy, whether on purpose or on accident, you have to go update the policy ID in your scripts. If you use a custom trigger you shouldn't have to do that, as long as you use the same trigger name as before.

It's also easier to remember a custom trigger name than it is a policy ID. So when you're at someone's computer (physically or remote) you don't have to remember the Chrome install policy was #15, you just have to remember the custom trigger was "installchrome". And so if you keep a naming schema like that for all triggers you can easily recall from afar.