Custom Triggers

jarradyuhas
Contributor

Does anyone know if the time-based custom triggers are still in existence? I want to setup a policy to run sudo jamf policy every 90 or 120 min, but couldnt find documentation to support that.

6 REPLIES 6

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what the connection is to custom trigger.

Two options come to mind:
1. Set the check-in time to either 90 or 120 minutes.
2. Have a policy that can only be called via a custom trigger. Deploy a launch daemon to clients that runs every 90 or 120 minutes.

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

I believe you are referring to the hidden page, tasks.html, in the 8 series where you could configure different Scheduled tasks (launchDaemons) that would check in a specific times calling specific commands scoped to what you specified. 0f9bfb2ea24e436f9d8a11b91fe5f4dd

That page was removed in the 9 series but the jamf binary's verb scheduledTask that was used is still is available under the hidden command "sudo jamf help -hidden". Say you created policy scoped to who you want set with a custom trigger you could use something similar to have it create a launchDaemon on those computers call that custom trigger every 90 minutes:

/usr/local/jamf/bin/jamf scheduledTask -command "/usr/sbin/jamf policy -trigger customTrigger -randomDelaySeconds 300" -name NewTaskName -user root -runAtLoad -minute '*/90/'

This could also be accomplished by creating your own launchDaemon with things like Lingon or Launched and the accompanying policy. One thing using the scheduledTask verb gives you is it automatically sets the correct permissions and loads the launchDaemon, a common pitfall when building manually.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@mike.paul Thanks for the info. This is useful information. I wasn't aware of, or at least had forgotten about the sudo jamf help -hidden items. I'm not sure if I will use any of them, but its good to be aware of them anyway!

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

Under the general hidden menu jamf mdm and jamf removeMdmProfile are helpful when changing jss urls or migrating things.

Its also helpful to see whats hidden below each verb, such as enroll:
"jamf help enroll" shows five flags
"sudo jamf help enroll -hidden" shows 16 flags with neat ones like -backgroundRecon

Pretty much every verb I've checked has hidden things.

jarradyuhas
Contributor

I was referring to the old custom triggers...I could swear that they were built into Casper back in the day as every30 every60 every90 or something like that. It was quite a few versions ago, so I'm not 100% on that.

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

You might be talking about the standard check-in times, not custom triggers. If you go to Settings -> Computer Management -> Check-in -> Check In Frequency you can specify if all computers check in at every 5, 15, 30, 60 minutes. This is for all computers checking in with jamf policy, not a custom trigger.