Customize login/logout status to user

SeanA
Contributor III

Regarding the JSS > Settings > Computer Management Framework > Login/Logout Hooks > "Display status to user during login and logout" setting, can the status that this setting displays be customized (such as to display company logo, etc)?

2 REPLIES 2

Not applicable

Up through Snow Leopard (10.6), yes, it was quite easy to change the loginwindow background image and replace the default Apple logo. There are quite a few utilities to do so, but the defaults command is the easiest:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow DesktopPicture /path/to/image

Unfortunately since Lion (10.7) Apple has removed quite a lot of the functionality from the loginwindow. I have had mixed success using Loginox to create customized loginwindow backgrounds for Mountain Lion (10.8); namely, compared to the earlier OS versions, ML is nowhere near as good about intelligently centering and scaling an image.

JRM
Contributor

Pete - I think he is referring to the policy status, and not the login background.

Sean - I don't recall if it shows a logo by default. If it does you could replace the default logo file. Other than that you would have to roll your own policy that shows a message using the jamfHelper binary. I think the default images are stored here: "/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/Resources"