Darshan Hiranandani : How can I troubleshoot and fix issues with starting FileVault on my Mac?

darshanhira
New Contributor

Hello,

I'm experiencing difficulties enabling FileVault on some macOS devices that were auto-enrolled via JAMF Connect. Despite having the policy in place, FileVault encryption did not initiate.

I've opened a ticket for new devices, but there are still a few lingering devices where FileVault remains disabled. When attempting to manually enable FileVault and cycle the key

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Darshan Hiranandani

2 REPLIES 2

ajpinton1
New Contributor II

Rule 1: Do not enable FileVault with Jamf Connect.

Rule 2: Use a Configuration Profile to enable FileVault from Jamf Pro or whatever MDM you use.

How to troubleshoot FileVault enablement. 

Make sure you are enabling FileVault with a configuration profile, do not put the configuration profile in the prestage as there is a product issue with Jamf and doing that causing problems. Assuming the FileVault Configuration Profile is configured correctly.

If for some reason FileVault does not enable, do the following.

• Exempt the device from the Configuration Profile enabling FileVault.
  • Reboot the device
  • Retarget the device with the Configuration Profile.
  • Reboot the device again
  • Monitor if the user is prompted to enable FileVault.

If the above does not work, enable FileVault manually using System Settings or the fdesetup command.

• The fdesetup command will usually tell you whyFileVault is failing to enable if it cannot enable FileVault.
  • Ensure the user has a Secure Token.

All and all managing FileVault is pretty simple if you enable it the way Apple tells you to which is with a Configuration Profile.

Thank you, I'm thinking of reinstalling my entire macbook