We have 15K devices in our database. When we open a static group that has 1 device in a static group, it takes a long time to return values. (spinning circle) What we see happen is, the ENTIRE 15k devices are returned instead of just the one. We have the paging set to show a 1000 devices, but we have to "hunt" through potentially 16 pages to find the one device that has a check mark next to it. So, the issue is two fold. One, the static group is returning 15k devices instead of only returning the one. Two, it is returning a large data set (multiple values for the devices it returns) instead of just showing a small list of returned values.
Anyone else seeing this?
@henryxyz I believe this is considered normal behavior for static groups as you just check the devices you want to be in a static group. Is your Jamf hosted or do you host it on-prem? If so, I am assuming you have multiple web app hosts connecting to the MySQL database? If you aren't clustering (or even if you are), it may be time to add some more web apps to help those load speeds.
We did add additional servers. On those additional servers, we gave them an absurd amount of Java Heap memory. We did not see any improvement. This has to do with the concept of pre-fetching data. When requesting devices in the static group, it brings over the entire list with its data. Waste of network bandwidth, processing by the Java Heap memory/Tomcat and more. Think of bringing over an entire file cabinet to look at a list on a piece of paper in the file cabinet. What should happen is the paper should be brought over, not all data records. Even if we did not have have performance issues, having to scroll through 15K records to find one or two time consuming. What should happen is only the list from the database is brought over. Note, not the data behind those records. Searching of those records would also help.