Default Management Location

rgranholm
Contributor

I'm having the hardest time, I would like to add complexity to the default management account.

I can't find it anywhere in the JSS, I know there is a place you set it...where the heck is it...so many different discussions on this Google is useless.

10 REPLIES 10

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

What do you mean by add complexity to the default management account? Complexity to the password? Or something else?

rgranholm
Contributor

Complexity to the password, that's it, I know the management account can be defined in the JSS I just cant for the life of me find it.

mm2270

You're looking for the Management Account payload in a policy. Choose the "Randomly generate new passwords" option from the dropdown and it will show an option to choose how many characters it needs to be. There isn't anything other than that though. You can't, for example, choose how many symbols and numbers need to be in the password or other stuff that you would typically see when setting password complexity. At least its not there on our 9.82 JSS, which I admit is a little out of date. Not certain if a newer release has more options now.

rgranholm
Contributor

There's a spot to set what it's set by default, such as when creating a quick add package that is downloaded from the web interface self enroll.

mm2270

Oh, for that, you go to Global Management > User-Initiated Enrollment > Platforms > OS X. There are fields in there to set the default password for the enrollment QuickAdd.pkg.
For resetting one in the Recon.app built QuickAdd.pkg you need to do that through Recon.app.

rgranholm
Contributor

THANK YOU! That was it

rgranholm
Contributor

Weird, when trying to change the management account password, I get an error.

Credentials could not be verified, username or password is invalid.
Error: The Managed Account Password could not be reset.

This happens on computers that are checking in and running policies without a problem, just seems to not let me change the management account on the computer with a policy.

mm2270

Hmm. Not sure why that would be. I can't say I've used the policy password reset option in some time, so I just don't know.
Are you setting it to something you know? Or are you using the random password option? Whichever one you're using, can you try the other option to see if it works? I'm wondering if there are some illegal characters in whatever its being set to (or attempting to set it to)

mike_pinto
New Contributor III

Are you referring to this?

90a47c2cb83c40a0bed32e144d38a8db

rgranholm
Contributor

I think I was referring to the user intiated management account, I know to know the password, and don't like it random. I'm not sure what that is referring to in your picture but if i have it configured i'm guessing i'll need to update it.