DEP Enrollment on WiFi

nvandam
Contributor II

Our current prestage enrollment works flawlessly on ethernet, but when on wifi, if the end user goes through the setup "too quick", the enrollment doesn't complete. I believe this is happening because of our wifi authentication. As soon as the user finishes the setup steps (Location Services, App Analytics, and Local User Account creation) the computer begins to load to the Desktop, the WiFi starts re-authenticating, and when this happens, the enrollment process fails to complete. I don't really want to add in Apple ID, Terms and Conditions, etc. to the setup just too create more steps, but I need to make the user slow down some how.

Thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

we hae the same problem. Theoretically, you may want to give 10.12.4 beta a try. It's hard to do an exact process test because the last beta I tried didn't update the recovery partition, so I had to run some commands to re-trigger the setup wizard.

In the mean time, I just put in the docs to wait 90 seconds at the timezone screen (testing showed 30 seconds and 60 seconds to not be long enough).

There's also this feature request...

nvandam
Contributor II

I upvoted that feature request. Until then (hopefully), how would I go about modifying the setup assistant times?

tanderson
Contributor

Same issue here and have upvoted that request as well.

bumbletech
Contributor III

I've just stumbled across a bit of a work around. Since there's an active user (_mbsetupuser) you can put a jamfhelper script at the end of an enrollmentcomplete triggered policy to tell the user when the initial/pre-setup is done so they can proceed with the rest of the setup screens. Still not great, but it takes a bit of the timing guess work out of the equation for now.