dep notify self service - UAMDM step

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

Hello is there a way to make the request for manual UAMDM Approval within a DepNotify workflow, pretty much the same way Selfservice does once open for the first time warning an poiting to system prefences with non-DEP machines?
Ideal would be stopping the DepNotify workflow until UAMDM is approved but if think it takes a little effort/logic with extension attributes and recon Just the reminder a-la self service would be enough to begin with Any help will be much appreciated Ciao
Carlo

7 REPLIES 7

chadlawson
Contributor
Contributor

As a frequent hacker of DEPNotify workflows, I'm glad to see what you are thinking here. So here's my off-the-top-of-my-head idea that I have not tested, so take it with a grain of salt.

1. Create a video that shows clicking the approve button.
  2. Deploy the video along with your other assets when you deploy DEPNotify.
  3. In your script, open System Preferences to the Profiles pane and start playing the video.
  4. Have a do/until loop waiting until it's approved every few seconds and continue afterwards.

This article by @rtrouton will show you how to detect if it's approved in your loop. If my process requires any additional clarity (it's the end of the week and my brain is fried) let me know and I'll try to expound.

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

I plan on using umad for this and a few other things

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

@chadlawson thank you for the hint and sorry for the late reply, I was OOO
I could swear I saw a DEPNotify presentation somewhere and also shared on GitHub (I can't find it anymore) and there was the same picture SelfService app shows
I mean the very same picture asking the user to go to System prefs to approve MDM was within the DEPNotify window and so it seemed to be part of that DEPNotify workflow
@Nix4Life that's very interesting indeed, thank you

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@carlo.anselmi

You can always screen shot what is in Self Service and use it as an image in DEPNotify. That's probably what you saw.

We use a script that utilizes jamfHelper to display a dialog while also opening the Proflies preference pane.

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

@stevewood that's a great hint, thank you
I will take some time to work on my DEPNotify script (which is based on JAMF DEPNotify starter) in order to make yours and @chadlawson suggestion work to wait for user approval before having DEPNotify proceeding to the next steps

chadlawson
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, @carlo.anselmi. It's my turn to apologize for the late reply. I tend to have various binge cycles with Jamf Nation and forget to check for replies all the time.

Did you find all the resources you need?

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

@chadlawson Many thanks again! when I first started wondering about how to ease UAMDM with DEPNotify I was still focusing on quickadd.pkg enrollment, which looks like to be soon deprecated, therefore the way to go is DEP (or User-Initiated Enrollment from https://your.awesome.JSS.com:8443/enroll/) which both solve the problem of UAMDM...