DEP Prestage enrollment no longer working.

jgwatson
Contributor

I have a couple of iPad's who have DEP Prestage enrollment profiles which I set up sometime ago. Now, when I wipe the iPads to issue the iPad to someone else, the iPad isn't getting it's enrollment profile from the JSS. We use this mainly to supervise our iPads. How can I fix this? Would creating a new profile work? Have they changed over time?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

RLR
Valued Contributor

Have you checked the iPads's serial number is in the DEP enrollment scope in JSS? Go to JSS > Mobile Devices > Prestage Enrollments > Click your prestage enrollment > Search scope with iPad serial number.

You could have multiple pre-stage enrollments so may have to check them all.

You can also login to deploy.apple.com and double check that the iPad was added to DEP to begin with.

Last thing, check the iPad is on the latest IOS.

jgwatson
Contributor

In the JSS it's still listed under one of my Pre-Stage Enrollments Profiles. For some reason it has the words "Completed" under the Status. Everyone else has Assigned.

Any idea what that means?

CairoJXP
Contributor

Not sure if this ever got resolved, but here's a suggestion.

I would uncheck the serial in the prestage and save the changes. Then I'd use JSS and do a wipe (and check off to clear activation lock). Assuming the wipe is successful and the iPad is in the normal setup mode, go back to the prestage, recheck the iPad you want and save changes. Then do a soft reset (hold the top & home button until it shuts down and the white apple re-appears, then let go of the buttons and let it boot up) on the iPad. Hopefully then it will get the updated changes. I've had issues similar to this happen, but not often. Another option is if none of that works, you can restart the JSS.

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

We are having issues with DEP enrollment lately on every single iPad. We start up the iPad, connect to Wi-Fi, use the LDAP credentials and then we get the message that the profile is invalid. If we then restart the iPad, wait a few minutes and try again, it works. Anyone has the same experience?

mmcallister
Contributor II

@St0rMl0rD We see the same thing most of the time, but have found that if we wait ~5 minutes the profile works. Restarting the iPad doesn't appear to make any difference.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

This is a weird thing that happens with Time Services. One solution is to do a DNS redirect of Apple's time servers to your internal time server.
time.apple.com
time-ios.apple.com
Or as you've discovered, stare at it for a few minutes until it times out.
Sometimes you can watch the time change, but not always

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Wow, very frustrating. Hope they fix it in the next iOS release.